Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bong back to his best

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Great to see after a rather shaky start to the season and not quite looking the same player after his lengthy injury last season. Maybe the addition of Pocognoli has spurred him into action? Nevertheless, a joy to see him marshaling wingers expertly and making perfectly timed overlapping runs again. Well done Gaetan!

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Great to see after a rather shaky start to the season and not quite looking the same player after his lengthy injury last season. Maybe the addition of Pocognoli has spurred him into action? Nevertheless, a joy to see him marshaling wingers expertly and making perfectly timed overlapping runs again. Well done Gaetan!

Agreed! Going to be some tough decisions when everyone is fit and available!

Kayal / Lua Lua / Rosenior / Towell / March

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe the addition of Pocognoli has spurred him into action?
No, he wasn't being lazy, he just wasn't back to full fitness and didn't have match practice.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's a mental thing too,we will probably see the same from March,when he starts regularly again..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IF I had to be critical I would suggest that some of his clearing headers do not gain any distance and just go straight up and down but that is minor as opposed to the leaps and bounds he has come on since his injury

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
No, he wasn't being lazy, he just wasn't back to full fitness and didn't have match practice.

Afraid I have to disagree there. If he wasn't back to full fitness after a full pre season that would be worrying. Perhaps lacking match sharpness, yes. It's always vital to have competition for places though and we didn't have that at LB after Rosenior got injured.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Afraid I have to disagree there. If he wasn't back to full fitness after a full pre season that would be worrying. Perhaps lacking match sharpness, yes. It's always vital to have competition for places though and we didn't have that at LB after Rosenior got injured.

I would have to agree to disagree ,match sharpness is also part of fitness,no amount of running and training gets your fitness levels up like playing does,yet you can be fit enough to start a game and finish a game,it's only playing that gets the levels of fitness up high enough that the sharpness is tuned.

I actually think better is to come - not sure he is quite at the levels before his injury when he was my player of the early season ahead of LuaLua. He is top 3 Hughton signings along with the monsters no 7 and no 11

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I would have to agree to disagree ,match sharpness is also part of fitness,no amount of running and training gets your fitness levels up like playing does,yet you can be fit enough to start a game and finish a game,it's only playing that gets the levels of fitness up high enough that the sharpness is tuned.

Fair comment. But then again we did play a number of games pre season and several in the league before Bong's performances improved. I don't think you can simply put it down to not being match fit/sharp, he was in poor form also.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
IF I had to be critical I would suggest that some of his clearing headers do not gain any distance

In modern football, players are trained to find a teammate with a defensive header, it's not about distance anymore. This is similar to judging keepers and central defenders on how far they can kick a ball; it's not golf and we're not in the 70's anymore.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In modern football, players are trained to find a teammate with a defensive header, it's not about distance anymore. This is similar to judging keepers and central defenders on how far they can kick a ball; it's not golf and we're not in the 70's anymore.
I appreciate that but some of his headers just go straight up and down to the same spot rather than 4 or 5 yds away. A very minor criticism

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Fair comment. But then again we did play a number of games pre season and several in the league before Bong's performances improved. I don't think you can simply put it down to not being match fit/sharp, he was in poor form also.

No you are right,it cannot be just down to sharpness,dependent on the players position,form can be effected by the caliber of the opponent in a given position on the day,the tactics employed by the opposing manager,numerous factors can contribute,over period of matches confidence of an individual can slip and that's when manager sees things we as fans may not,before they happen and act accordingly to try to rectify the situation.... We were also in poor form pre-season overall though,not that i ever read anything into pre season results..

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
To be fair, Bong has been back to his best for at least 3/4 weeks now. Very happy to have the terrific player we saw last year back :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can he play left back?

Would have still liked Jlloyd in there myself - perhaps we'll renew our interest in January? I may dig out my thread tomorrow...

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Have been so impressed with Bong the last few weeks. I was very concerned and critical of him earlier in the season as he constantly looked like dropping a bollock and gave the ball away far too often in dangerous areas however he is a changed player from that early season form.

Whether it's match sharpness or just plain confidence long may it continue

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here