Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting sports question.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
No Googling. Now this will go in the first two or three replies or ? So here we go. Who was the first person to run a Four Minute Mile ? :wave:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not him, he was the first to run a SUB 4-minute mile.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not him, he was the first to run a SUB 4-minute mile.

download.jpg

I stand corrected oh wise one :)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The Kiwi chap who took the mile record off Bannister about 3 weeks after Bannister ran his 3:59.4. John something?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Not Landy. It,s bang-on 4.00.00. Just one hundredth of a second quicker and it would be his name and not Roger Bannister that would be history.

Not Landy. It,s bang-on 4.00.00. Just one hundredth of a second quicker and it would be his name and not Roger Bannister that would be history.

Roger Bannister is already history. I remeber him breaking the 4 minute barrier very well.

Who the guy is who hit the 4 mins dead on I have no idea. And John Landy seemed to me to win more than Bannister did but RB won the important one at the imprortant time. I'm still surprised he managed to get through the crown as he came up to the finish!

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Do people really find that an interesting sports question ????

How about who was the first person to jump 4ft 6" or who ran a marathon in 4hr 14 mins ????

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Do people really find that an interesting sports question ????

How about who was the first person to jump 4ft 6" or who ran a marathon in 4hr 14 mins ????

Fair enough.but at the time The Four Minute Mile was and some may well say considered to be "man,s" finest sporting hour (?) as for now i believe The Mile record is around 3.43 ? a fantastic achievement from 4.00.00

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

You sure that the time was recorded down to the hundredth? Bannister's time was only officially recorded to the tenth, so I thought that maybe the first person to run 4 dead might be a recent runner (say, Mo), but then you say that if they'd run 1/100 faster they'd have Bannister's record. I'm confused...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
So yes at least least one Tenth of a second. However the First Man to Run One Mile at 4.00.00 is ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here