Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Air line flight prices

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm looking at flights (to Stockholm) next June and there's 11 a day. All are around €130 apart from one which is over a grand. Why is one seemingly arbitrary flight 10 times the price of all the others? Who would buy a flight for a grand when you can fly an hour earlier or later for a 100?

And why are there such big price differences between airlines with code-share flights? Again, why would anyone willingly pay much more for literally the same flight?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
allows you get into office for 9? or leave at time after work? must be a rational reason for 10x pricing.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Lucky thing going to Stockholm one of my very favourite cities.
I have no idea which flights you have looked at and the prices baffle me as well, but I do know that you can fly cheaply by Ryanair to another airport, Bromma rather than Arlanda and it's not hundreds of miles away from the city either.
Norwegian from Gatwick probably have good prices as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lucky thing going to Stockholm one of my very favourite cities.

Thanks. The missus came home last night and plonked two Radiohead tickets for Stockholm in my hand. I'm very lucky!

I've never been but am pretty sure I'm going to like the city. Any tips will be appreciated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Thanks. The missus came home last night and plonked two Radiohead tickets for Stockholm in my hand. I'm very lucky!

I've never been but am pretty sure I'm going to like the city. Any tips will be appreciated.

Best tip I can give you as you are going in June with the missus is to totally impress her by keeping your eyes on her and not the beautiful and sexy girls that adorn the city.
Seriously, the obvious place is Gamla Stan, right in the centre some great pubs, bars, restaurants and shops.
Not been but apparently even if you don't like them the ABBA museum is really good but there are some other great Nordic Museums as well.
Any decent guide will tell you all you need to know, it's not like London or Rome whereas you come away knowing you have only scratched the surface, just a short visit gives you a feel for the city and makes you want to come back, just don't let the price of things spoil it.
You can get passes for the metro to get you around and they all speak perfect English to help you, food used to be awful years ago but is now very good.
I can't recommend any particular eating and drinking places as I have not been for 6 years but as I have said a good guide book will tell you all you need to know as will your hotel.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Best tip I can give you as you are going in June with the missus is to totally impress her by keeping your eyes on her and not the beautiful and sexy girls that adorn the city.

This is where big sunglasses come in handy I guess? Point glasses in direction of the missus, eyes can then go where they want.

Jan 30, 2008
i'm looking at flights (to stockholm) next june and there's 11 a day. All are around €130 apart from one which is over a grand. Why is one seemingly arbitrary flight 10 times the price of all the others? Who would buy a flight for a grand when you can fly an hour earlier or later for a 100?

And why are there such big price differences between airlines with code-share flights? Again, why would anyone willingly pay much more for literally the same flight?
stop moaning you can afford it :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seriously, the obvious place is Gamla Stan, right in the centre some great pubs, bars, restaurants and shops.
Not been but apparently even if you don't like them the ABBA museum is really good but there are some other great Nordic Museums as well.
Any decent guide will tell you all you need to know, it's not like London or Rome whereas you come away knowing you have only scratched the surface, just a short visit gives you a feel for the city and makes you want to come back, just don't let the price of things spoil it.
You can get passes for the metro to get you around and they all speak perfect English to help you, food used to be awful years ago but is now very good.
I can't recommend any particular eating and drinking places as I have not been for 6 years but as I have said a good guide book will tell you all you need to know as will your hotel.

I think I'd enjoy the Abba museum. Cheers.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I'm looking at flights (to Stockholm) next June and there's 11 a day. All are around €130 apart from one which is over a grand. Why is one seemingly arbitrary flight 10 times the price of all the others? Who would buy a flight for a grand when you can fly an hour earlier or later for a 100?

It's probably a different cabin class.

The price differences on code shares are often due to booking classes. Booking classes are the classes within a cabin class.

It can also be down to the type of fare. Which in simple terms is private vs published.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's probably a different cabin class.

The price differences on code shares are often due to booking classes. Booking classes are the classes within a cabin class.

It can also be down to the type of fare. Which in simple terms is private vs published.

Ah yes. I hadn't spotted the 1000 ticket is premium economy. Mystery solved.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
aaahh yes good old airline pricing - very scientifically worked out but when you look at them they look very unscientific!

Most airlines work now on "Yield Management" algorithms - low cost carriers initially price seats based on how popular they think the flight will be (historical data and things like sports and other events, school holidays etc) and then the price of the seats is driven by how many are sold. A carrier will "break even" at something like 70% capacity so if the flight is over 70% full when you want to book, the price will be high. So some flights which are priced higher will have less seats available.

Codeshares and scheduled carriers are far more fun - they sell in fare classes and on the same yield management algorithms. Us Agents have special ITX and Consolidated fares from scheduled airlines and how they work their prices out I have no idea - all I know is that most of the time I can buy American Airlines tickets cheaper than BA (still BA flights) and the same goes for Delta and Virgin!

And some of the fares to the USA are mind boggling out of Belfast/Dublin via Heathrow - those fares are predominantly cheaper than just going Heathrow to the USA using exactly the same flight.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Norwegian do tend to get greedy and shoot themselves in the foot though. They'll charge you, say, £29.99 for the outward leg from Gatwick and then quote you something stupid like £176.99 for the return leg.

book outward leg
clear cookies
book return leg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here