Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashton Gate Eight - Would this ever happen again?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The long-term contracts
In the early 1980s, Brighton and Hove Albion sought to protect their assets and ward off bids from other clubs by offering long contracts to their star players. For example, in summer 1980, Steve Foster signed a ten-year contract. Mark Lawrenson was also on a contract of that length, while Peter Ward had signed for eight years. Then, 12 months later, goalscorer Michael Robinson also signed a ten-year deal. Such financial commitments ended up proving very onerous for the club, which was relegated to Division Two in 1983. Similarly, when Bristol City were relegated to the Fourth Division in 1982, highly-paid players Chris Garland, Jimmy Mann, Peter Aitken, Geoff Merrick, David Rodgers, Gerry Sweeney and Trevor Tainton, all agreed to tear up their contracts to help save the club. They became known as the ‘Ashton Gate Eight.’

I do not think this would happen again, not in my lifetime.
Where players all supported by agents, would be that loyal to a club, especially if MONEY is a factor.
Maybe in the lower leagues, but not in the 'top flight'
Your thoughts :)

http://mobile.seagulls.co.uk//news/article/2016-17/brighton-hove-albion-bristol-city-3400353.aspx

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I do not think this would happen again, not in my lifetime.
Where players all supported by agents, would be that loyal to a club, especially if MONEY is a factor.
Maybe in the lower leagues, but not in the 'top flight'
Your thoughts :)

It didn't happen in the top flight then, either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here