Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"That" book

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've heard many stories about an article, film or book that has shaped a young person's future. If you could give your teenage Son, imaginary or real, one book to read to help them understand about perseverance, compassion and tolerance what would it be?

I have a book signed by Ranulph Fiennes which is a great read and llustrates the ability of the human body to achieve great things and survive against all odds.

What would be your choice? (*Playboy Annual is not a valid choice)

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I've heard many stories about an article, film or book that has shaped a young person's future. If you could give your teenage Son, imaginary or real, one book to read to help them understand about perseverance, compassion and tolerance what would it be?

I have a book signed by Ranulph Fiennes which is a great read and llustrates the ability of the human body to achieve great things and survive against all odds.

What would be your choice? (*Playboy Annual is not a valid choice)

The Catcher in the Rye.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Compassion and tolerance for me would be "The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield.. It seems to get a bit of a marmite reception (Love it or hate it), but I like to think it can help understand human interactions and some behaviour traits...

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
The Overloaded Ark by Gerald Durrell.

Keep The River on your Right by Thomas Schneebaum.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Animal farm. A wonderful insight into human nature and incidentally inspired by time Orwell spent in Eastbourne whilst staying at Chalk Farm.

Another memorable read was Lord of the flies.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The Grapes Of Wrath. It's message is still relevant today especiall bearing in mind recent event in Calais.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't think there's any one book that I would recommend. I'm 47 and only a few weeks back I read 'Requiem For A Dream' for the first time and it has had a profound effect on me. My only advice would be to read as much as you can by as many different writers and as many different genres as possible.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Best book ever. I've just started it again, for the fifth time. Amazing how McCarthy managed to squeeze so much material from one overcast afternoon stroll down London Road and across The Level to the seafront.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here