Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton beat Inter last night.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Match report I read contained this quote;

'Six years ago this week Southampton supporters walked to St Mary’s for the visit of Dagenham & Redbridge in League One. In 2010, Inter did the double, lifting the Champions League and winning Serie A under José Mourinho.'

The season they finished a distant second to the mighty Albion. Amazing what a well run club can do these days. I used to think getting to the premier league might be a bit dull with the sum ambition being to avoid relegation, but if we get there, who knows what we might achieve.

IF we get there. Not getting ahead of myself or being arrogant. I love life in the Championship. Last year was amazing bar the disappointment.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
How much will Liverpool end up shelling out for Virgil Van Dyke when they decide to sign him? I wonder how far away we were from having his signature on an Albion contract while Poyet was at the helm a few seasons ago.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If people wonder how the Albion might cope in the shark-infested waters of the Prem we only have to look at Southampton and follow their example.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
If people wonder how the Albion might cope in the shark-infested waters of the Prem we only have to look at Southampton and follow their example.

Indeed. IF we get up there, it could end up being more of an exciting ride than had previously expected. IF.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012

'Six years ago this week Southampton supporters walked to St Mary’s for the visit of Dagenham & Redbridge in League One. In 2010, Inter did the double, lifting the Champions League and winning Serie A under José Mourinho.'

The season they finished a distant second to the mighty Albion. Amazing what a well run club can do these days. I used to think getting to the premier league might be a bit dull with the sum ambition being to avoid relegation, but if we get there, who knows what we might achieve.

IF we get there. Not getting ahead of myself or being arrogant. I love life in the Championship. Last year was amazing bar the disappointment.

Inter did the treble - they won the Italian cup too that year - according to bbc

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
South coast city with a smaller population than Brighton/Hove, and yet Southampton spent 27 consecutive years in the top division at one point, FA Cup winners, European football, England internationals...the list goes on. As George Best famously said about Brighton and Hove Albion - "Where did it all go wrong?"

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
That evening against Dagenham they had;

Oxlade Chamberlain
Lallana
Fonte
Ricky Lambert

all starting, with Morgan Schneiderlin and Jason Puncheon on the bench.

Show's how well we did under Poyet to finish above them.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Don't know why their win last night is being hailed so much. Inter Milan are twelfth in Italy at the moment. They should be beating them.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

'Distant second' ?

They were three points behind us at the end. They scored more goals and had a better goal difference. I'm not criticising our performance, but if the squad hadn't gone on the piss for 3 weeks after Walsall, then it would have been much more decisive.

I dislike Southampton as much as anyone, but fair play to them for last night. Irrespective of where Inter are at the moment, that was a great win.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
'Distant second' ?

They were three points behind us at the end. They scored more goals and had a better goal difference. I'm not criticising our performance, but if the squad hadn't gone on the piss for 3 weeks after Walsall, then it would have been much more decisive.

I dislike Southampton as much as anyone, but fair play to them for last night. Irrespective of where Inter are at the moment, that was a great win.

Alright, alright, I was being a little casual with the truth. We walked that league though.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
That should be us!!!!

We do not have a divine right to be there. Southampton already had a well established academy even when they were in league 1. Ours is just in it's fledgling years, we couldn't have achieved what they have achieved, maybe we will when our academy starts bearing fruit.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
At the time the small matter of a billionaire owner had nothing to do with being able to retain their best players, pay them the right salaries and have the best facilities and coaching available.

Not that remarkable at all under those conditions and Inter are utter SHASH this season too.

Hell even what Leicester have achieved under similar circumstances is much more remarkable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here