Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football Focused

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm being sucked in again.

From around February I was completely absorbed in the Albion and our plight to reached the promised land. From March, with nothing particularly meaningful to do with my time, I spent almost every waking minute reading about the Albion, watching the Albion (and our competitors) and writing about the Albion on these very pages. Working through fixtures, expected results and the subsequent league table became a daily task.

For the first time ever, I spent considerable periods of time on rival messageboards. Not posting you understand. None of that "Brighton fan in peace" bollocks, just reading. Trying to gain insights of how others were feeling and trying to discover signs of weakness that would give me further hope as to the chances of our success.

For the last few weeks of the season, Ashes by Embrace was pretty much on repeat - on my phone when out, on the Sonos at home and in my head. For those that don't recall, it was the music that accompanied the club's end of season montage. A magnificent piece of work by the Albion's videographer chaps.

The football break that the Summer represents was very much needed. Last season was incredible but I was drained by the end of it. Immensely proud but also so disappointed that the likes of Bruno didn't get what I feel they deserved. Not what I deserved, what they deserved.

This season started slowly. I missed the first few weeks on a family holiday and then international breaks make the opening months of the season annoyingly stop-start. But this week it's dawned on me - I'm getting sucked in again. The trigger wasn't Saturday's incredible result, but looking at the table after and noticing that we already have a significant buffer on the teams placed seventh and below.

After the whole club gave so much last year, it felt like a nearly impossible task to go again and reach the same heights, but it looks like we may be able to do just that.

I have an evening commitment this Saturday night which means I should watch the Bristol City game down here on TV, but I still might go. I'm considering going to see whatever the next game in that ridiculous competition at the Amex next week. Orient, I think. Remember when they were our temporary rivals, often getting the better of us? And I really can not wait for the Villa game.

I'm sucked in again. Massively. Anyone else?

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Couldn't agree more. After last season, I felt so dejected. I couldn't help but think that the players must have felt worse than I did and that we'd struggle to bounce back this season. But we have. We're going strong and I've got so much belief in the team. We have so much depth in the squad too.

Like you, I find myself reading about the Albion, browsing NSC or simply checking our opponents fixture lists constantly. I have a wedding reception to attend on Saturday evening so I can't make the Bristol game... gutted. But I will be fashionably late to the reception as I'm not leaving the house until the game has finished on TV.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
From afar ... yes! Been summoned to HK early next month. There's a direct flight from LA but I'm going via London which gives me just enough time for Cardiff (A) on the way out. Returning Friday via Gatters just in time for Leeds (H). Sucked in indeed!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The disappointment and yes, the resentment towards Burnley, Barton, Dyche, Mike Dean, 'Boro et-al, has not yet entirely dissipated, so I am desperately trying not to get so sucked in this season. So far, so good.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My start to the season was similar to yours, with a family holiday in early August and the frequent international breaks breaking any flow at the start. Our early dip in form (which saw us fall to mid table) saw my belief wane somewhat, as I feared a season fighting over the playoff places, with Norwich, Huddersfield & Newcastle fighting for the top 2 places. However, our win at MASSIVE and the Norwich result have given me renewed confidence and enthusiasm. I'm not discounting the poor performances v Wigan and Wolves, and I'm certainly NOT overly confident of promotion, but what Saturday has shown me is that unlike last season, it may not be the same neck and neck 3 horse race for the title, and Boro & Burnley >> Newcastle & Norwich ... so there's a chance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Personally I'm finding it really hard to get sucked in to this season so far. Every time we start to get a bit of momentum going, and a bit of excitement building, another crappy international break comes along and we're all left kicking our heels for a fortnight.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The abiding image for me from last season is Rosenior's Hillsborough 'chin up' moment. It's a moment which says 'Never Give Up'; 'Believe in Yourselves' and all those cliches which are so often utterly meaningless yet seem to be at the very heart of everything we are about at the moment.

CrOPFDYW8AQAGHU.jpg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I am in awe at Chris Hughton's man management abilities to pick this group of players up off the floor and deal with the Stephens issue in such an humble and understated manner. I had lowered expectations for the first half of this season but I am now looking at the table thinking, what have we got to be scared of?

Nothing.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Personally I'm finding it really hard to get sucked in to this season so far. Every time we start to get a bit of momentum going, and a bit of excitement building, another crappy international break comes along and we're all left kicking our heels for a fortnight.

Agreed. I'm really looking forward to Villa onward when we have no international break until March. It is ridiculous to have so many so early in the season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm being sucked in again.

From around February I was completely absorbed in the Albion and our plight to reached the promised land. From March, with nothing particularly meaningful to do with my time, I spent almost every waking minute reading about the Albion, watching the Albion (and our competitors) and writing about the Albion on these very pages. Working through fixtures, expected results and the subsequent league table became a daily task.

For the first time ever, I spent considerable periods of time on rival messageboards. Not posting you understand. None of that "Brighton fan in peace" bollocks, just reading. Trying to gain insights of how others were feeling and trying to discover signs of weakness that would give me further hope as to the chances of our success.

For the last few weeks of the season, Ashes by Embrace was pretty much on repeat - on my phone when out, on the Sonos at home and in my head. For those that don't recall, it was the music that accompanied the club's end of season montage. A magnificent piece of work by the Albion's videographer chaps.

The football break that the Summer represents was very much needed. Last season was incredible but I was drained by the end of it. Immensely proud but also so disappointed that the likes of Bruno didn't get what I feel they deserved. Not what I deserved, what they deserved.

This season started slowly. I missed the first few weeks on a family holiday and then international breaks make the opening months of the season annoyingly stop-start. But this week it's dawned on me - I'm getting sucked in again. The trigger wasn't Saturday's incredible result, but looking at the table after and noticing that we already have a significant buffer on the teams placed seventh and below.

After the whole club gave so much last year, it felt like a nearly impossible task to go again and reach the same heights, but it looks like we may be able to do just that.

I have an evening commitment this Saturday night which means I should watch the Bristol City game down here on TV, but I still might go. I'm considering going to see whatever the next game in that ridiculous competition at the Amex next week. Orient, I think. Remember when they were our temporary rivals, often getting the better of us? And I really can not wait for the Villa game.

I'm sucked in again. Massively. Anyone else?

Great post. Completely agree with this. It took a while to get going for me with the disappointment still felt from last season, missing a couple of early home games, a couple of key injuries and the Stephens saga but now this season has really started for me.

Somehow we seem to have gone under the radar a bit while putting together an unbeaten run of nine games (including seven wins). Until Saturday it had all been about Newcastle, Norwich and how Huddersfield were the surprise package. This has changed now. It is impossible not to take notice after Saturday.

I am really looking forward to the game on Saturday. Another win would be huge and really give me confidence that we can continue this run.

The improvement in defence, the big results we've picked up without Kayal (and Stephens) and the form of Murray make me confident that we can go one better this season but there is a long way to go. I am completely sucked in now. There's no way to get away from it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't think I was ever not sucked in. These are absolutely golden times to be a Brighton fan.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The disappointment and yes, the resentment towards Burnley, Barton, Dyche, The Complete And Utter Shyster, 'Boro et-al, has not yet entirely dissipated, so I am desperately trying not to get so sucked in this season. So far, so good.

Yes, I too am sucked in and spending far too much time on this board, and generally reading about the Albion. Every time results come in, I look to see and hope that Burnley, Hull and Middlesbrough all lose and will eventually go down. Probably a bit vindictive, but that is how I feel after our scandalous bad luck last season. Can we do it? Looking good so far, though things can change in a long season, but surely after so much disappointment these last few years, it has to be our turn this time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Completely. For example, wasn't planning on doing many awaydays this year but been gradually slipping them into the diary..............

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes, I too am sucked in and spending far too much time on this board, and generally reading about the Albion. Every time results come in, I look to see and hope that Burnley, Hull and Middlesbrough all lose and will eventually go down. Probably a bit vindictive, but that is how I feel after our scandalous bad luck last season. Can we do it? Looking good so far, though things can change in a long season, but surely after so much disappointment these last few years, it has to be our turn this time.

I don't have any issue with Hull. They were a bit lucky that we lost to Wednesday (largely through bad luck and a poor refereeing decision) and got a more winnable final but I have no problem with them being in the Premier League. After the games last season, I really hope both Middlesbrough and Burnley go down.

I think the win at Hillsborough laid a lot of play off pain to rest for the season. It was such a great day after so many games without a win there and made me believe it could be different this year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The abiding image for me from last season is Rosenior's Hillsborough 'chin up' moment. It's a moment which says 'Never Give Up'; 'Believe in Yourselves' and all those cliches which are so often utterly meaningless yet seem to be at the very heart of everything we are about at the moment.

CrOPFDYW8AQAGHU.jpg

Completely the defining image of last season.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would love to see the numbers for website traffic for NSC across last season and into this one. Maybe a lovely graphical representation?

August 1st 2015 - November 2nd 2016 below. Big peaks are:

4/8/15, 11/8/15, 29/8/15, 1/9/15
1/2/16
7/5/16, 13/5/16, 16/5/16, 17/5/16
3/8/16, 31/8/16

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 13.06.20.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports