Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

High Definition Television

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I know that we are now faced with Ultra HD but can anyone advise if it is worthwhile to upgrade to HD (via BT), this I would be doing, if at all, for sport and particularly Footie, Tennis and cricket where the ball moves rather fast.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i would say that high refreash rate is more important than hi resolution for sports, though the UltraHD may be higher res? look for those that do 100hz or higher.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know that we are now faced with Ultra HD but can anyone advise if it is worthwhile to upgrade to HD (via BT), this I would be doing, if at all, for sport and particularly Footie, Tennis and cricket where the ball moves rather fast.
Thanks

Sport in HD to me is very different......the increased picture sharpness is really noticeable. Cricket in particular is great to watch with the super slo-mo replays they often show.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
i would say that high refreash rate is more important than hi resolution for sports, though the UltraHD may be higher res? look for those that do 100hz or higher.

Yeah, I thought that when I bought my nice 200hz Samsung, only to find out Sky send out only 50hz. Imagine my disappointment when the improvement on the cricket ball speeding to the boundary amounted to the square route of cluck all.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yeah, I thought that when I bought my nice 200hz Samsung, only to find out Sky send out only 50hz. Imagine my disappointment when the improvement on the cricket ball speeding to the boundary amounted to the square route of cluck all.
I think the 200hz on the TV relates to the processing of the signal sky send. Yeah you can't do anything about sky's output, however a TV with better motion processing should, in theory, result in better reproduction.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Mine still works fine, I see no reason to change it.

img_kv-29st1.jpg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's well worth going up to HD in my opinion but only if you buy a quality HD TV and not some £100 HD "ready" job from a supermarket. Can definitely tell the difference on a quality set.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We really noticed a difference with Football and other sports when we started using HD.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Noticeable but don't do the classic mistake and get a TV too big for lounge and then lose all benefit

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Noticeable but don't do the classic mistake and get a TV too big for lounge and then lose all benefit

The higher definition the TV then the closer you can view from without losing the benefit. 4K TV is OK from arms length.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
We have HD at home. It is good but I've had HD for quite a few years. I cancelled my sky a while ago so have been watching streams on Kodi. I thought the picture was pretty good until I watched a game in the pub the other night on HD. Definitely worth it in my opinion.

My Mrs folks have got a 4k Samsung tv and use that new skyQ with UHD 4k. The picture is immense. So clear and crisp even though I sat about 10ft away from a 55" screen.

I remember watching the Olympics and a long jumper landing after his jump. I thought the grains of sand were going to jump out of the TV!

It does cost a fortune though!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would like to know where to get an upgrade of my eye so I can see the difference!

I tend to agree as I have not noticed any difference when I have seen it. Buying an upgrade is something I have never considered and wont until such time as my existing one gives up the ghost.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes to HD, no to super HD.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Thanks

I can't notice any difference. I threatened to leave Sky so they threw in some extras for the same price to keep me with them. One of them was HD. Now that I have it I can't see any difference. So not only have they hood winked and ripped me off for years. They hood winked and ripped me off again when I threatened to leave.

Moral of the story is, they will give you HD for free if you threaten to leave them quite simply because they aren't really giving you anything extra anyhow. I tried to play them at their own game. I cancelled the sport channels when the football isn't on and reinstated it when it started back up again but I think I ended up missing out on one of the Open Tennis competitions because if that - so I have not been very successful in my negotiations with Sky

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
If people can't tell the difference between SD and HD, then they either are watching a rather small TV or they need their eyes tested!

The bigger the TV, the better the HD effect - if you watch any of the Sky Sports channels on anything bigger than a 40inch screen in SD and then flick to the HD channel there is an enormous difference!! And Ultra HD, particularly on an OLED screen is different gravy again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here