Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why doesn't FIFA just shove it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why have we changed our mind?

It wasn't an issue for 90 odd years yet has been 2011. So why is that?

Because the sycophantic world in which we live in deems it necessary to be SEEN to commemorate our war dead, it is no longer acceptable to remember privately.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Rememberence day wear a Poppy and pay respect at 11am on the 11th fine but why such a massive fuss for overpaid egoistical idiots to wear an arm band? We are becoming a nation of people who don't remember but just love to grieve dwell and take pride in who gave the best minutes applause. Next we will have celebrity rememberence of their favourite pets.

In a 100 years time nobody will do **** all because they are either silent or clapping. And whilst I'm on a rant let's dig up some enquires like Hillsborough and the minors strike and dwell on them too.

Absolutely bang on! Well said Sir.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
There are only about 70 international Rugby sides, most are European/Commonwealth countries which I assume would have some influence on the decision.

It seems to be all blown up by the Sun, black armbands with poppies has been done in the past, why is it such an issue this year?

To sell newspapers and pander to right wing nationalism.
They weren't up in arms when England drew with Sweden in a forgettable 1-1 draw in a friendly at Old Trafford in 2001, on the day before Armistice Day, where there were no armbands and no poppies.

Similarly the last time England played on 11 November itself – a 4-1 victory against Yugoslavia in Belgrade in 1987 with goals from Peter Beardsley, John Barnes, Bryan Robson and Tony Adams – none of the players sported armbands or poppies, and no-one cared.

For me, it's a time for quiet contemplation, to remember relatives, friends, those who had no choice in WW1&2.
Unfortunately the charity is being ruined by right wing media.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
]

This was in response to previous posters who claimed that members of the armed forces were more deserving than nurses due to the fact that they put their lives at risk and that they can get injured or killed whilst on duty.

Ultimately its down to the individual to decide which causes they feel are the most worthy and what to contribute to. There are 1000's of charities out there all vying for our money, unfortunately in this instance the fact that the poppy appeal is at the same time as rememberance week means that a whole load of additional political crap is added to the decision whether to donate or not. As other people have posted, people are guilt tripped in to buying and wearing a poppy and particularly those in the public eye as not doing so is seen somehow as a slant and lack of respect to those that were killed in the 1st and 2nd world wars.

Most people are not even aware of where any of the money goes.

I don't know anyone who is guilt tripped into buying a poppy. If anyone says anything to you about not having a poppy, you can have a word with them.

Not a single poppy seller will make you feel guilty.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Why have we now put ourselves in the position of "accepting" any punishment from FIFA. I honestly cannot see any reason to be part of the international football community. A piss taking corrupt governing body and an inept set of "international players" and manager after manager picking the same failures over and over again appointed by a board of absolute wine swillers.

Why stop at FIFA? Let's withdraw from the world entirely. Once we figure out what "leaving" the EU actually means then next leave NATO, then the UN and the Commonwealth, and icing on the cake England can withdraw from the UK. Splendid isolation, country taken fully back.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't know anyone who is guilt tripped into buying a poppy. If anyone says anything to you about not having a poppy, you can have a word with them.

Not a single poppy seller will make you feel guilty.

Really? Where have you been hiding?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/615979/West-Brom-James-McClean-poppy-Leicester-City

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/nov/06/sienna-miller-criticism-not-wearing-poppy-extreme

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sco...rage-blasted-for-not-wearing-poppy-on-tv.html

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
To sell newspapers and pander to right wing nationalism.
They weren't up in arms when England drew with Sweden in a forgettable 1-1 draw in a friendly at Old Trafford in 2001, on the day before Armistice Day, where there were no armbands and no poppies.

Similarly the last time England played on 11 November itself – a 4-1 victory against Yugoslavia in Belgrade in 1987 with goals from Peter Beardsley, John Barnes, Bryan Robson and Tony Adams – none of the players sported armbands or poppies, and no-one cared.

Perhaps the fact that over 600 British soldiers have died in Iraq and Afghanistan since then has changed peoples attitudes to remembrance.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Perhaps the fact that over 600 British soldiers have died in Iraq and Afghanistan since then has changed peoples attitudes to remembrance.

Don't disagree with that, but 255 British military personnel died in the Falklands war, and the game with Yugoslavia was played a few years later. We are able to show respect before and after the game.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I doubt it, the poppy appeal to most is for veterans of the world wars. What's changed is the media have got a bigger stranglehold on the weak.

I went to school and have friends the same age as me who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. The ultimate sacrifice became a bit more real for me when someone I sat next to in a science lesson ended up being shot at when on foot patrol in Basra.

Each to their own, and nobody should be forced to wear a poppy, but I've always worn one since primary school in the 1980's.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I went to school and have friends the same age as me who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. The ultimate sacrifice became a bit more real for me when someone I sat next to in a science lesson ended up being shot at when on foot patrol in Basra.

Each to their own, and nobody should be forced to wear a poppy, but I've always worn one since primary school in the 1980's.

I'm sorry to hear about your school friend. For me I'll wear a poppy on the 11th but once the 948 survivors left of the WWs pass away I'll probably give to other charities and leave the 11th solely for thought of those who had no choice.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I am proud of what our Armed Forces have done and continue to do to protect us and others around the world. Sadly many have been killed, from the horrors of the Somme to the more recent conflicts . I am wearing a poppy to salute them !!!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm sorry to hear about your school friend. For me I'll wear a poppy on the 11th but once the 948 survivors left of the WWs pass away I'll probably give to other charities and leave the 11th solely for thought of those who had no choice.

:wanker: no need for much comment , this post and tossers like you are everything that is wrong about this country.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Hold on, if you are going to have a debate please stop throwing insults around like a child. For the record I didn't even say it was my view. I am simply pointing out that the whole issue depends on you standpoint on the armed forces. It is political.

Nobody forces soldiers to do anything, they volunteer to be in the armed forces. Anyone signing up over the past 15 years would have a pretty good idea that they are likely to be deployed within places like Afghanistan, Iraq etc.

So your view is "tough shit , you signed up, take the consequences ", ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Have you an agenda here? I think we can all agree that nurses, which you mentioned before, do a fantastic job and we should as a society value them more. However what is the purpose of this post? Is it simply that you don't like the armed forces and therefore resent them receiving these kinds of benefit?

That's the way I read it .

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Is that figure of 948 survivors left of the WW's true?

I find that hard to believe.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here