Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast
    Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

Why doesn't FIFA just shove it.

3 Not allowed!
    Just wear them, sod FIFA.

England, Scotland & Wales in talks with Fifa over wearing poppies on shirts.

England are playing Scotland at Wembley for the first time since August 2013England, Scotland and Wales are in talks with world governing body Fifa over whether players can wear poppies on their shirts to mark Armistice Day.
    England play Scotland at Wembley on 11 November in a World Cup qualifier, before Wales face Serbia at the Cardiff City Stadium the following evening.
    Fifa bans political, religious or commercial messages on shirts.
    The Football Associations of England, Scotland and Wales want to know the potential punishments.
    The ultimate sanction is a points deduction, but Fifa has not indicated whether that would be under consideration.

One solution could be players wearing a poppy on an armband.
    That compromise was brokered for England's 1-0 friendly win over Spain at Wembley on 12 November 2011.
    England's match with Scotland takes place on Armistice Day, when commemorations take place across the United Kingdom to remember the nation's war dead.
    An FA spokesman said: "We are working closely with the Royal British Legion once again this year to honour and remember the sacrifices made by those serving in the armed forces.
    "In recent weeks, the FA has led remembrance discussions with Fifa to allow the England team to show its support for the Poppy Appeal during the World Cup qualifier with Scotland."
    BBC Sports news correspondent Richard Conway says it is believed the new Fifa administration, under president Gianni Infantino, is "more sensitive" to such issues than was the case under Sepp Blatter and that the expectation in Zurich is that a "rapid solution" will be found.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

17 Not allowed!
      Wearing a Poppy is not a political statement. Nor is it a religious statement. And there is no 'commercial message' as the RBL are a Charity.

So that's all 3 criteria not met. FIFA can Do One.
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

16 Not allowed!
      i agree with FIFA on this, theres a very simple and easy to follow rule - nothing on the shirts. it is a political statement, or one that can be construed as one, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it. if FIFA allow this, they what other national/regional commemorations or celebrations should they allow?
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
      Im The Scatman

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      i agree with FIFA on this, theres a very simple and easy to follow rule - nothing on the shirts. it is a political statement, or one that can be construed as one, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it. if FIFA allow this, they what other national/regional commemorations or celebrations should they allow?
      I agree with this.

The FA/Scottish FA can mark the day in a Thousand different ways in and around the stadium.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kinky Gerbils View Post
      I agree with this.

The FA/Scottish FA can mark the day in a Thousand different ways in and around the stadium.
      Just a suggestion like at the Royal Albert Hall everybody attending buy a poppy and throw them in the air at the end of the game. The benefit is that with a minutes pre match silence the moment will be observed and the RBL will get extra sales from those who wish to remember. I know the audience dont buy the poppies at the Royal Albert Hall and there is one dropped for each life lost. but the principle is the same.

4 Not allowed!
      it is a political statement, or one that can be construed as one, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it.
      I'm interested in what sort of political statement you think wearing a poppy conveys?
      Uckfield Seagull I remember the good times's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      History in the making, I sadly agree with FIFA. Black arm bands can be worn.
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

8 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
      I'm interested in what sort of political statement you think wearing a poppy conveys?
      ask those that advocate a white poppy, or those that kick off about some footballer/politician/celebrity not wearing one every year. i'm perfectly happy with the poppy, but recognise it causes a debate every. damn. year.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I can see where you are coming from, but as I'm from a family orientated military background, I am of course biased.
      But the point remains, that this decision should be made by the FA, and not FIFA, mainly because this is an event that has been honoured for years and many more to come.
      It's a celebration, not a provocation to anyone who disagrees with it (I'm talking about FIFA)

4 Not allowed!
      Wearing a poppy is about remembering all the fallen. Of course it's political.

There's no place at all for anything remotely political to be on a football shirt. FIFA should stick by their guns and the FA should accept it and plug the RBL some other way.
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista