Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray 2012-13 v Glenn Murray 2016-17

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As we somewhat regrettably know, despite his season ending in the play-off semi-final, Glenn Murray played a massive part in firing Crystal Palace to the Premier League position they still, somewhat surprisingly, enjoy today.

In the 2012-13 campaign, Murray scored 30 league goals for the Nigels. He did however, lose his scoring touch somewhat in the run-in:

First 33 games - Murray scored 27 goals of Palace's 60.
Final 13 games - Murray scored 3 goals of Palace's 13. As we know Palace scraped into the play-offs in dreadful form.

So, how influential will Glenn Murray be for us relative to his exploits for Palace that year?

First checkpoint, end of October

2012-13: 8 goals
2016-17: 9 goals

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
Still blame the ridiculous loan to them of Dobie. Had we not done so I am convinced they would not have reached the play offs.Think he was involved in some of the good bits of their dreadful run in.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Murray scored a lot pens for the Nigels that year. Hemed is our taker but not sure who is when he isn't on the pitch. Maybe Murray?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Murray scored a lot pens for the Nigels that year. Hemed is our taker but not sure who is when he isn't on the pitch. Maybe Murray?

Did he? Murray has always had a pretty poor penalty record from memory. Certainly did in L1 with us, and has missed one this season for us hasn't he ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005

I've never been particularly impressed with his penalty taking. Seems to me he has missed a fair few. Certainly not as accomplished as Hemed who is the best I have seen since Curbishley.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I've never been particularly impressed with his penalty taking. Seems to me he has missed a fair few. Certainly not as accomplished as Hemed who is the best I have seen since Curbishley.

Really?

I personally thought David Lopez took our best penalties.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did he? Murray has always had a pretty poor penalty record from memory. Certainly did in L1 with us, and has missed one this season for us hasn't he ?

We haven't missed any this year, have we??

Dean Hammond was very reliable, and the best of all was David Lopez.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Still blame the ridiculous loan to them of Dobie. Had we not done so I am convinced they would not have reached the play offs.Think he was involved in some of the good bits of their dreadful run in.

Oh christ I'd forgotten about him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Nah - not having it. Dobbie was utterly shit. If he did achieve one or two contributions to their cause, so what? Had we refused to loan them the half-fit, barely interested Dobbie, they'd have spent their cash on bringing in an alternative, who by default would have been better.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011

Glenn scored 9 out of the 12 he took for us in 2012/13. Wouldn't say he every looked like a natural penalty taker to me.

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Nah - not having it. Dobbie was utterly shit. If he did achieve one or two contributions to their cause, so what? Had we refused to loan them the half-fit, barely interested Dobbie, they'd have spent their cash on bringing in an alternative, who by default would have been better.

He was shit for us, great for them. Scored three crucial goals and gave four assists. I doubt another loanee would have made that impact given how hit and miss it is with loans at that time of the year.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He was shit for us, great for them. Scored three crucial goals and gave four assists. I doubt another loanee would have made that impact given how hit and miss it is with loans at that time of the year.

Dobbie was shit for them. He may have scored a couple of goals in his 3 months there, but he was also involved in that run of about 7-8 games where, despite having one of the best (if not the best) scoring record in the division prior to Feb, they couldn't buy a goal, which included a game where they played against 10 men for 45 minutes.

When he joined, Palace where in a fight with Hull to get 2nd and about 7-8 points clear of us; by the end of the regular season, they'd dropped so far that they only made the play-offs on the last day. Saying that he was responsible for them reaching the play-offs is as daft as saying David Rodriguez was the reason we made the play offs the following year.

Another thing, getting Dobbie off the wage bill arguably enabled us to get Upson in, which was probably as significant a signing as Ulloa that season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Dobbie was shit for them. He may have scored a couple of goals in his 3 months there, but he was also involved in that run of about 7-8 games where, despite having one of the best (if not the best) scoring record in the division prior to Feb, they couldn't buy a goal, which included a game where they played against 10 men for 45 minutes.

When he joined, Palace where in a fight with Hull to get 2nd and about 7-8 points clear of us; by the end of the regular season, they'd dropped so far that they only made the play-offs on the last day. Saying that he was responsible for them reaching the play-offs is as daft as saying David Rodriguez was the reason we made the play offs the following year.

Another thing, getting Dobbie off the wage bill arguably enabled us to get Upson in, which was probably as significant a signing as Ulloa that season.

Not doubting the benefits of getting rid, just questioning why we sent him there. However little difference he made, the difference may have got them in the play offs and then into the Premier League. Ultimately it did absolutely nothing for us other than being humiliated in our own back yard.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
Or the parallels between Dunk 2012/13 and Dunk 2016/17

Especially a certain day Selhurst in early December 2012. Dunk sticks his leg out and gets sent off after the 8th minute. Doesn't really emerge again in imperial form until 2 years later...
Murray spends the rest of the game towering above our centre halfs knocking down all sorts of inviting crosses from Bolasie and Zaha.
We go home like Norwich with our tails between our legs having been thumped... we of course get our revenge on St Patrick's Day. They get the last laugh...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here