Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Game Over For Ageing Premier League Players Chasing Last Big Payday In MLS?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news...in-mls/ar-AAjCMpv?li=BBoPWjP&ocid=mailsignout

'Former LA galaxy boss warns club against signing Wayne Rooney and slates big-money stars 'stealing money' in MLS'

'Boss Jose Mourinho has reportedly told Rooney he needs to move to be assured first-team football.

The 31-year-old has been linked with a megabucks move to [LA] Galaxy where former Liverpool star Steven Gerrard is about to be out of contract.

But Lalas said he fears Rooney may not live up to the price tag.

He told The Sun: "They got little return on the Steven Gerrard investment and does Rooney still have much to give and something which works in the MLS, even if he is five years younger than Gerrard?

"Are you replacing a player who had limited involvement and limited impact, with yet another player who will have limited involvement and limited impact?"

"If Rooney, at 31, doesn't still have the things which made him great, then it's problematic."

Lalas also took a swipe at European players moving to the MLS at the end of their careers for lucrative contracts but failing to deliver.

He added: "Living in Beverly Hills is great. But if you don't couple it with performances on the field then you are just stealing money'.

Next stop China then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The obvious answer is dont offer ridiculous wages but that is not the American way they have to be big and brash in everything. They should realise that players only go there for a mediocre less competitive standard of football when their career is nearly finished and they cannot still compete in a competitive league. It has always been the same with soccer in the USA going back to the days of Pele etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whose fault is that then Lalas, you ****ing idiot?

Don't sign them and give them HUGE contracts then

The thing is, there was a time when players like this were needed in the US - Beckham wasn't vfm in terms of the footballing ability he brought with him, but he was box office and a recognisable name who brought attention to the league and fans in the stands.

I just think Lalas is saying that such a time has now been and gone. He's right.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If it was just about the money then China is a good bet. I've said on another thread that Peter Crouch would be a good back-up option for Glen Murray but you've got to think that a bloke the size of Crouch with his heading ability playing in the Chinese could score a hatful of goals and make a fortune in the last couple of years of his career.

The thing is, there was a time when players like this were needed in the US - Beckham wasn't vfm in terms of the footballing ability he brought with him, but he was box office and a recognisable name who brought attention to the league and fans in the stands.

I just think Lalas is saying that such a time has now been and gone. He's right.

Pretty much this really.

I seem to remember a time when the Premier League got deluged with ageing Continentals after the big money end of career pay days too.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If they are not going to pay the wages for top european talent then the MLS will be dead on its arse in no time, even if it is talent coming to the end of its career.

Its L1 football /Low end championship football at best even now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If that's what it said, I'd agree. I was reacting to the comment that he took a swipe at European players. It's not their fault. I'd go and play for them if they paid me, and as my wife would testify, I'd be a flop and a disappointment, on and off the pitch.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I seem to remember a time when the Premier League got deluged with ageing Continentals after the big money end of career pay days too.

So can most of us tbh, after all it was only four months ago that Ibrahimovic signed for Man Utd.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Americans that enjoy football (soccer) are turning to Euro leagues more and more on telly and watching visiting euro teams in their off season. The MLS brand is growing for those who love Americans like Tim Howard (also an aging former euro league star grabbing good money) are desired most. When I was there Landon Donovan was coming out of retirement. Tim Ream will get a real push to come back to MLS late too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here