• Duffy

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Dunk

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you're talking about best defensive header then you really need to add Guy Butters to that poll.

I tried to change the poll to add Butters but couldnt see how to do it but in fairness he didnt get the distance on his clearing headers that Foster and Duffy does and the same could be said for Cullip both won the ball but not any great distance achieved.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I tried to change the poll to add Butters but couldnt see how to do it but in fairness he didnt get the distance on his clearing headers that Foster and Duffy does and the same could be said for Cullip both won the ball but not any great distance achieved.

The reason Butters didn't get the distance that Duffy gets is that Butters rarely jumped for the ball. His technique was to let the opposition player make the jump and then position his body so the defender missed it leaving Butters to nod it away.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

why should distance matter so much? shirley heading to safety or starting attack is the most important part of defensive header.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Toss-up for me between Foster and Butters. Neither how-you-say exactly built for speed, but instinctive positional play meant they were both invariably on the receiving end of a defensive header.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What about Sir Norman? Not the most fleet-footed defender, but a terrific header of the ball

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have been impressed with the fact that Duffy wins virtually every header and they dont just drop off of his head most go well beyond the center circle to set us up for an attack so that is why I went for him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's part of BG's scouting score sheet. Defenders are rated by the distance of their clearances, both with head and foot.

It is an important part of defending both Cullip and Butters tended to just drop their headers short to a player nearby which then left us open to losing the ball as opposed to both Foster and Duffy the distance gives us time to regroup and face up again for any onslaught. Dunk has improved dramatically on this in the last 2 seasons.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Guy Butters - what a man.

I can't decide if we used to have so many more characters or whether I am now getting old. But I miss the days of Butters, Hart, Chippy et al.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It is an important part of defending both Cullip and Butters tended to just drop their headers short to a player nearby which then left us open to losing the ball as opposed to both Foster and Duffy the distance gives us time to regroup and face up again for any onslaught. Dunk has improved dramatically on this in the last 2 seasons.

By that logic you prefer players who HOOF it clear rather than pass it to a "player nearby" because that would leave "us open to losing the ball" whereas "distance gives us time to regroup and face up again for any onslaught".

I'd never guess which football era you "scouted" in :lolol:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
A few years ago I saw a 'tired and emotional' Foster demonstrate his heading technique from the starting position of sat on a bar stool. Given that he wiped out EVERYTHING/BODY within a couple of yards I'm giving it to him.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Glenn Murray has done quite well lately as well.

From a technical point of view I thought Eric Young was the best,

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I reckon Duncan Ferguson would have liked the challenge of going up against D & D.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here