Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    [Insert witty title here] shaolinpunk's Avatar

Omar Dampha - 16-year-old Swede having a trial here

1 Not allowed!
    https://twitter.com/MedioTransfer/st...16030222090240
    https://twitter.com/huseincehajic/st...16489662177280

Obviously one for the future if it goes well although he appears to have already made nine appearances for the Kristianstad first team; all off the bench and has two goals.

Kristianstad appears to be in the third tier of Swedish football so either he has caught the eye in his limited appearances or our scouting department has an incredibly in-depth knowledge of Scandinavia.
    Error;; File 'KateUptonBouncing.gif' not loaded. Click HERE to open image

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      While not wishing to belittle either him or the club recruitment team it appears that we spend a lot of time giving young players a trial for the future should we not be looking at bringing in more 19/20 year olds who could make the grade in 1 -2 years rather than 16 yr olds who will probably be 5 years away.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      While not wishing to belittle either him or the club recruitment team it appears that we spend a lot of time giving young players a trial for the future should we not be looking at bringing in more 19/20 year olds who could make the grade in 1 -2 years rather than 16 yr olds who will probably be 5 years away.
      What a very short sighted thing to say
      I can just imagine your writing on here as he scores a hat trick for arsenal in a couple of yrs against us

0 Not allowed!
      The standard of football here is crap. The top 10 in Allsvenskan are on par with the Championship (on a good day) and the rest are League 1-level.

I wouldn't get too excited about a young lad banging in two goals in the third tier being given a trial by us.

0 Not allowed!
      If you're good enough you're old enough .
      Seagulls be thou the rainbow in the storms of life ,the evening beam that smiles the clouds away ,and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray .

0 Not allowed!
      Fairly short-sighted view I would've thought?

What are the chances that a 19/20 year old, who is already showing enough to be Championship quality in 2 years, is going to be unattached in the first place?

Obviously there are examples of it happening, but I'd imagine (based on sod all) that it'd be easier/cheaper to trial and sign number of 16 year olds than it would be to get a promising ex-PL academy (presumably) player.

There's also the argument that a 16 year old has that much more time to be develop and improve in the first place, not so much when older.
      The 'Oulon One'
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by albionfan37 View Post
      What a very short sighted thing to say
      I can just imagine your writing on here as he scores a hat trick for arsenal in a couple of yrs against us
      Not short sighted as yes we do need to bring on good prospects but I would be more interested if there were more 19/20 year olds who could be in the first team squad in 2 years that have been rejected by the big clubs. Some years ago granted, but we signed a 19 year old released by Man Utd named Peter O Sullivan who went on to play over 400 games for us. That is the type of player I am looking at.. Even the likes of Rohan Ince although he hasnt pushed on as much as was expected after Oscar left.
      Sex Panther

3 Not allowed!
      The whole point of the academy is to bring in players when they are 14, 15 and 16 to nurture them through our style of play and ethos as a club. Some will make the step-up to the first team but others inevitably wont. Personally, I'm happy to see the club taking the approach that they are.

From a financial standpoint too, the cost of a 19/20 year old from a League 1/2 club will be a lot higher than bringing in someone 2-3 years younger.

0 Not allowed!
      I would be more interested if there were more 19/20 year olds who could be in the first team squad in 2 years that have been rejected by the big clubs.
      Do you mean the 19 year old we signed on loan from Man Utd last November ?

2 Not allowed!
      Not short sighted as yes we do need to bring on good prospects but I would be more interested if there were more 19/20 year olds who could be in the first team squad in 2 years.
      You mean like Hambo, Dallison, Harper, Hunt, Walton, Hall, Horny-Forbes and Adekugbe?

Not all of them "have been rejected by the big clubs", but they are in the age range you are talking about...........
      Because I'm bored, it's funny, and I hate you. There you are, the holy trinity of "why?"