Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Murray's first goal, if it had been the other way round

How would you have reacted if Norwich had scored in the same way as Murray's first?

• I'd have accepted it as a valid goal

Votes: 65 44.8%
  • I've have been FUMING that a free-kick for a foul on Stockdale was not given

Votes: 80 55.2%

• Total voters

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
More to the point, this was the first match in years where I thought the ref gave every decision the way it looked like it should go, apart from one throw in. Superb ref.

Superb?? How Martin Olsson stayed on the pitch means he was anything but superb. At one stage towards the end of the second half it looked like it was all going to blow up. The ref tried to keep his cards in his pocket but didn't take control of the game.

In answer to the other question, i'd have been apoplectic of the foul hadn't been given!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didn't celebrate straight away as I was expecting the ref or linesman to say something. It is a physical sport and shoulder barges are legal, but after last season, I was beginning to think that refs had a grudge against us for some reason.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Would have moaned watching it live but seeing it on TV it was more clear cut.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I really expected the ref to disallow it and was surprised he didnt (over protection for keepers etc), but there was no foul and in fairness none of the Norwich players, keeper included, appealed. The right decision.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Being objective, I would have been fuming.

I was amazed at the time the ref gave it and I said as much. Seems to be in the modern game any contact at all on the keeper and the referee will give a foul against the opposing player.

That said, looking at the replay yesterday, the referee got it spot on.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I really expected the ref to disallow it and was surprised he didnt (over protection for keepers etc), but there was no foul and in fairness none of the Norwich players, keeper included, appealed. The right decision.

I'm the same as this and am another who thought the referee had an excellent game. He kept it flowing and used a lot of common sense. Honestly, there's no pleasing some people as far as referees are concerned, so pleasing to see many on this board who appreciate the good job he did.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Never a foul in a million years. It's like that gif of Zaha embarrassing Bruno with a shoulder barge,

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Surely there cannot be any doubt on this.

As it came from a back pass, technically the goalkeeper becomes an outfield player, in which case the shoulder to shoulder contact was completely legitimate with the ball within playing distance.

If it had NOT stemmed from a back pass, It is now the KEEPER receiving the ball, and I think the keeper would have been given more protection by the referee, and a free kick given.

I'm just impressed that the referee and lino both managed to make that calculation so quickly, and agree on it.

Wedgee

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'd have been fuming. Mainly because of the inconsistency - I reckon more than half the refs would've given a free kick there given how much protection they usually give keepers. I'm surprised at how little protest Norwich gave - particularly the keeper who didn't seem to protest at all. Also the pundits on the FLS all said it was 100% legitimate. Just being honest here, my first thought in today's football was that the ref would blow. I like a good old fashioned shoulder barge though, just wish the refs would be more consistent.

Yeah me too old chap. Very surprised it was given. Delighted mind you.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Outside the area it would of been deemed a fair shoulder to shoulder challenge , so no free kick , why the rules seem to change on challenges in the box is a bit of a mystery but they do , for example when a player is shielding the ball out for corners usually the 2 players are practically wrestling , so i would of been bloody fuming (if it had been disallowed )

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It was the right decision but I'd have been beside myself with frustration!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I don't think it was a foul........however I was AMAZED the ref allowed it to stand.

In an era where if you DARE jump with a goalkeeper you get penalised, to see a player allowed to physically KNOCK OVER a goalkeeper (fairly, in my view) and allowed to get a away with it was amazing.

The keeper apologised showing he knew it wasn't a foul. It looked dramatic as Murray knocked him just as he was about to kick it so completely off balance.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I don't think it was a foul........however I was AMAZED the ref allowed it to stand.

In an era where if you DARE jump with a goalkeeper you get penalised, to see a player allowed to physically KNOCK OVER a goalkeeper (fairly, in my view) and allowed to get a away with it was amazing.

The keeper apologised showing he knew it wasn't a foul. It looked dramatic as Murray knocked him just as he was about to kick it so completely off balance.

I was thinking this at the time it happened, that if the keeper was off the ground looking to punch or catch the ball, any opposing player in the same post code and it seems to be a foul. But the ball was on the ground in play and a shoulder to shoulder challenge is still permitted, so a goal.

The other way round and Stockdale on the ground, I would have been feeling like I did the other week with the goal from the Bruno to Stockdale back pass f

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
As a football purist, I'd have been critical of Stockdale. Would have looked to the ref and been glad he gave a foul but would also have cringed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here