Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Murray's first goal, if it had been the other way round

How would you have reacted if Norwich had scored in the same way as Murray's first?

• I'd have accepted it as a valid goal

Votes: 65 44.8%
  • I've have been FUMING that a free-kick for a foul on Stockdale was not given

Votes: 80 55.2%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's very difficult to be objective about these things, but if Norwich had gone one up with Cameron Jerome shoulder barging David Stockdale to the ground before shooting into the open goal, would you have accepted it or would you have been shouting for a free-kick and then giving the referee all manner of abuse had he let the goal stand?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All manner of abuse , of course :ascarf:

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I doubt that Stockdale a) would have allowed himself to be bundled over so easily and b) turned to his defence and apologised sheepishly immediately afterwards (very clear on the highlights)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Although, the keeper was visibly apologising after, so its not really a brainer of any sort, isn't it? :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I doubt that Stockdale a) would have allowed himself to be bundled over so easily and b) turned to his defence and apologised sheepishly immediately afterwards (very clear on the highlights)

c) I'm not asking that.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
More to the point, this was the first match in years where I thought the ref gave every decision the way it looked like it should go, apart from one throw in. Superb ref.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd have been fuming. Mainly because of the inconsistency - I reckon more than half the refs would've given a free kick there given how much protection they usually give keepers. I'm surprised at how little protest Norwich gave - particularly the keeper who didn't seem to protest at all. Also the pundits on the FLS all said it was 100% legitimate. Just being honest here, my first thought in today's football was that the ref would blow. I like a good old fashioned shoulder barge though, just wish the refs would be more consistent.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'd have been fuming. Mainly because of the inconsistency - I reckon more than half the refs would've given a free kick there given how much protection they usually give keepers. I'm surprised at how little protest Norwich gave - particularly the keeper who didn't seem to protest at all. Also the pundits on the FLS all said it was 100% legitimate. Just being honest here, my first thought in today's football was that the ref would blow. I like a good old fashioned shoulder barge though, just wish the refs would be more consistent.

Reminded me of Alex Dawson.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
i was amazed norwich did not complain, no reaction from keeper, players or fans

i know it was a fair goal but still i would have been whining about it

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I would have been slightly surprised, just as I was yesterday. The challenge was quite legitimate but keepers normally get special protection. Credit to ref (and noticeable that McGovern, other Norwich players and fans were not appealing like crazy). Consistency is irrelevant, it was the correct decision.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
I voted fuming. I was expecting all the time the goal to be disallowed right up until Norwich restarted. It was, though, clearer having seen replays so full marks to the ref, and I would say the same if it had been a goal to Norwich......... albeit more grudgingly.

Hugh Jorgan

Jul 30, 2008
Brighton
For me as soon as a keeper starts to try playing with his feet then he should be treated like an outfield player and as such it was a shoulder barge and so a fair challenge. The other way round I would be pissed off with Stockdale for not hoofing it away first time. Keepers are over protected when challenged in the air in my opinion, on the floor with feet they shouldn't be. So no foul.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Silly question.

Would 26000 supporters be screaming for a free kick had Stockdale been floored and had conceded at 6 minutes.

Nah, we'd clap Jerome for his fine goal and give the ref a standing ovation for allowing it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I would have been slightly surprised, just as I was yesterday. The challenge was quite legitimate but keepers normally get special protection. Credit to ref (and noticeable that McGovern, other Norwich players and fans were not appealing like crazy). Consistency is irrelevant, it was the correct decision.

Agree.
I want to make a case for the ref yesterday. He could easily have ruled that goal out. Equally, he could easily have sent Olsson off, and booked a fair few other players. He didn't. And in that he was consistent. I'd rather they erred that way, than blew up for everything, or even wanted to make themselves the story of the game, as was the case with a certain ref that comes to mind, nearly six months ago.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
It's very difficult to be objective about these things, but if Norwich had gone one up with Cameron Jerome shoulder barging David Stockdale to the ground before shooting into the open goal, would you have accepted it or would you have been shouting for a free-kick and then giving the referee all manner of abuse had he let the goal stand?

It didn't move on.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Fuming in the usual partisan, pantomime, world is against us my club right or wrong kind of way. All fine by Monday morning though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
At the time I'd have been fuming at the ref so voted that, but later I'd have been fuming at Stockdale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here