Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So. Who can STOP us ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Honest question. Assuming Newcastle win the league, which I believe they will, who can we see in the chasing pack can overhaul us for that 2nd spot ? This is an entirely RHETORICAL question, and is without presumption.

We are 3 points clear of Huddersfield now, with a +14 goal difference compared to their -1, so effectively another point. You have to go down to Bristol City in 6th place, who are 7 points back on +6 for a team with a GD in the same postcode. I just cannot see Huddersfield lasting the pace. They looked BANG average at the Amex, rocked up as early league leaders, set up just trying to nick a point, and have just been humiliated at Fulham. They'll be lucky to make playoffs IMO.

Reading and Bristol are doing ok, but are equally leaky at the back (conceding 17/18 goals already in 15 games) and their form has been patchy. Birmingham don't look anything special, Sheff Weds always flatter to deceive, and then you're looking way down to the likes of (perhaps) a resurgance from a Fulham or Villa, but they're already 10-13 points back. Leeds are hilarious.

I truly thought Narch were the primary threat - and they probably still are with their buying power. But look what we just did to them. Newcastle will probably sweep all before them, which can only help us. And we still have March, Kayal and Rosenior to come back.

So. In theory, who exactly is going to stop us ?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Only Villa if they can get there act together.

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Newcastle?

Is that the Newcastle who very nearly dropped two points yesterday?

We were totally outplayed at SJP, but the Newcastle teams that have headed south in the cup in recent times, have failed to make much of an impression. With their resources, they should win this league, but they are nowhere near out of site. Stay in touch, keep our players fit, the pressure could just tell, when they visit the Amex.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Mike Dean ?

Seriously, we are our own biggest threat. The job isn't done, we mustn't start thinking it is.

3 banana skins next up - Bristol (a), Villa (h) and Fulham (h).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Norwich. They'll improve from that - they've been good so far & have a huge advantage in spending power. Will probably go for it in Jan too. Maybe we'll splash out on the Baldock completion player though?

I don't want anyone to underestimate how good Norwich are. Yesterday was a bit of a one off. If they change manager they'll be even more dangerous if they employ the right replacement...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Keep an eye on Fulham. They have been playing some good stuff without always getting the results. A new team starting to gel. Maybe a little way back at the moment but I know their fans are optimistic. Top two though ?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I saw nothing in that Norwich team to trouble us even if they sack there manager. The players Villa have signed are unbelievable and they now have Bruce.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm excitedly optimistic because of our strength at the back. Our back four look absolutely immense at the moment, and we have cover too. I just can't see us leaking too many goals, and therefore losing too many games.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Cant rule out catching Newcastle, who are only 3 points ahead of us. In some ways a routine 2-0 win yesterday might have been better long term, as the Norwich boss is on thin ice now. If they replace him soon with a better manager, their squad could threaten us as the season goes on.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Norwich. They'll improve from that - they've been good so far & have a huge advantage in spending power. Will probably go for it in Jan too. Maybe we'll splash out on the Baldock completion player though?

I don't want anyone to underestimate how good Norwich are. Yesterday was a bit of a one off. If they change manager they'll be even more dangerous if they employ the right replacement...

I think I agree with you. Yesterday was them bottoming out, but they can't possibly be that bad again, and it worries me that it might just be a catalyst. Plus they can throw infinite money at it in a couple of months time. I felt going into that game that our head-to-heads this season with them will be PIVOTAL, and we've just stolen a massive march on them. But they are still the main threat IMO.

Outside of them, I am really actually struggling to see who can emerge as a major threat. Long, long way to go of course, but if we keep doing what we're doing and don't have a catastrophic injury crisis, then this is there for the taking.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Staying injury free and having a good January transfer window is going to be key.
We have some very tough games coming up, let us enjoy the ride.
What will be will be.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
I kind of share your thinking, except that Newcastle, however powerful, haven't won it yet...

Benitez could get poached by a struggling premiership side and take a handful of top NUFC players in the transfer window...

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I kind of share your thinking, except that Newcastle, however powerful, haven't won it yet...

Benitez could get poached by a struggling premiership side and take a handful of top NUFC players in the transfer window...
No chance of him leaving

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I saw nothing in that Norwich team to trouble us even if they sack there manager. The players Villa have signed are unbelievable and they now have Bruce.

But they are 13 points back (14 if you look at the GD). Did you see them against Birmingham ? They were fortunate to get a point. Even if they did the double over us it'd be a stretch to make top 2 from that far back, they're going to have to go on an unbelievable run. And they're really not very good. Bruce would have to work an absolute miracle.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The truth is, the only team that can stop us being promoted is us. I believe, at worst, we have the second best squad in this division which will see us automatically promoted. If we don't go up, we will only have ourselves to blame barring injuries.

At best, who knows, we might win the title, i wouldn't rule that out either. I do not think Newcastle are certainties. We froze against them in August and didn't play anything like as well as we could.

Reputations count for nothing in the Championship. Up the Albion!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just about everyone now Easy, you peanut.

Karma isn't mummy 10's Nissan Cherry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here