Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Canary Isalands

i'm thinking of a few days in the Canaries in December. I've never been there so I don't know anything about them.

I'm looking for somewhere peacefull, not loads of night clubs and noisy bars. A good hotel by the sea, walking distance from decent restaurants, pref an old town to wander around.

Most of the time I'll chill out around the hotel but I'll probably rent a car one day to see round the island. La Gomera is somewhere I want to go but not this trip, I want somewhere with direct flights from UK and Spain.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Lanzarote or Fuerteventura both immediately spring to mind but all of them have quiet resorts that are exactly what you're after.

The only real "nightlife" resorts in the islands are Playa de las Americas (Tenerife) and Playa del Ingles (GC)

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Gran Canaria. I stayed at the Taurito something or other last December. Highly recommend it. Port Morgen is a cheap bus or taxi ride along the coast, ideal for wandering around the harbour.....there's a huge market on Sundays but some good bars and restaurants.
I'm off to La Palma mid November. Hotel seems miles from anywhere so a car hire will be a given

peterward

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 11, 2009
Gran Canaria. I stayed at the Taurito something or other last December. Highly recommend it. Port Morgen is a cheap bus or taxi ride along the coast, ideal for wandering around the harbour.....there's a huge market on Sundays but some good bars and restaurants.
I'm off to La Palma mid November. Hotel seems miles from anywhere so a car hire will be a given

totally agree with Gran Canaria and Puerto del Mogan. been to all the canaries and Tenerife and Gran canaria over 10 times each. Gran Canaria has a beautiful green interior if you hire a car, Mogan is smallish but quaint, its on the part of the Island that benefits from a micro climate and is often sunny when other parts aren't. And if you want a days shopping the capital Las Palmas about an hour ans a bit away, is a great city with some cool areas.

Playa Blanca is nice on (the only really nice place on Lanzarote imo) but its a tourist resort, fuerteventura is very arrid and family resorty plus quite windy in December. Gran canaria has may cute towns if you want to drive a day, Arucas, teror and firgas are all small and interesting for a day trip and if youve really got some bottle (its pretty bloody hairy) the old costal road from Mogan that runs round the west coast (with good views of tenerife) to puerto de las nievas (the road is GC 200) is incredible and scary with huge drops!!

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Our winter break is normally the carribean but thanks to Brexit and late planning it was a bit to much of a stretch, so we are off to Lanzarote in 2 weeks for 5 nights in Playa Blanca, I'll let you know how it is!

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
totally agree with Gran Canaria and Puerto del Mogan. been to all the canaries and Tenerife and Gran canaria over 10 times each. Gran Canaria has a beautiful green interior if you hire a car, Mogan is smallish but quaint, its on the part of the Island that benefits from a micro climate and is often sunny when other parts aren't. And if you want a days shopping the capital Las Palmas about an hour ans a bit away, is a great city with some cool areas.

This. Lovely places away from the 'English bars' and all that shite. Hire a car, have a look around. Fuerteventura is much quieter than both if you can get there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just got back from a relaxing week in Corallejo, Fuerteventura.

Very relaxed, peaceful, great walks and beaches and very limited nightlife so should tick all your boxes.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Agree with all the posts so just in case here are the places to avoid just in case you make a mistake.
Lanzarote Puerto Del Carmen.
Gran Canaria Puerto Rico
Tenerife Las Americas & Los Cristianos.
Apart from those places the Canaries are ok, especially for a bit of winter sun, I like going in late January or early February, right in the middle of winter my most hated time of the year.
I would probably say that Mogan on Canaria is what you are looking for.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Very relaxed, peaceful, great walks and beaches and very limited nightlife so should tick all your boxes.

Only fair to warn OP that Corralejo is quite built-up nowadays though eh, with McDonalds, shopping malls and all the rest of it.On the other hand, I thoroughly recommend El Cotillo in Fuerteventura. Crumbling old fishing village with one hotel and some smart new apartments, plus a number of excellent restaurants and sleepy bars. Sparkling white sand beaches and turquoise lagoons at one end of the village and the best surfing in the Canaries at the other end of the village One quick look at Google images should make your mind up for you. :cool:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Plenty of lovely places in Tenerife away from the all day breakfasts and 1€ a pint joints. Live here 5 months a year and very happy that you'll get everything you want. Feel free to PM if you want specific info, but I'd say go south west and avoid Americas and Christianos

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Been there a couple of times out of season. It isn't what I generally want on a holiday, but that beach... Jesus.

I'm amazed off the back off the beach and dunes it hasn't become a millionaires playground.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Plenty of lovely places in Tenerife away from the all day breakfasts and 1€ a pint joints. Live here 5 months a year and very happy that you'll get everything you want. Feel free to PM if you want specific info, but I'd say go south west and avoid Americas and Christianos

I have been to Tenerife a few times and agree with that, it is a nice Island, having said that I went into Christianos and found a fabulous real Spanish restaurant, in the town but back away from the seafront, all dark and hams hanging from the ceiling, easily the best Spanish restaurant I have been to.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
We spend time most years in Playa Blanca in Lanzarote staying in a villa which are remarkably good value. Currently in Alcala in Tenerife at the Gran Melia.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We spend time most years in Playa Blanca in Lanzarote staying in a villa which are remarkably good value. Currently in Alcala in Tenerife at the Gran Melia.

Just down the road from us, lovely place. I was going to mention it but it's beyond the budget of most I suspect!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

The only thing about Tenerife is that i know a couple of people who have been broken into and robbed. This seems to be quite common on this island

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The only thing about Tenerife is that i know a couple of people who have been broken into and robbed. This seems to be quite common on this island

Hardly peculiar to Tenerife .. happens in Seaford!

Our residence has been here 28 years along with 30+ others and according to the lifers here there's never been a break in. We've certainly never heard of anything in our time. Might not say the same about Christianos though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here