Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Their manager's tactics yesterday

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not complaining at all but I was amazed at some of the decisions that the Norwich manager made yesterday. Midway through the first half, their number 3 had lost the plot and looked a likely candidate for a red card. My mate who sits next to me noticed also that he was starting to limp and then after the hilarious slide by the North Stand he was clearly in a lot of pain...but their manager dilly-dallied over getting a sub warmed up to replace him and then when the sub had taken off his bib and was all set to go on, the number 3 indicated that he didn't want to come off and so the sub went back to the bench.

I don't think I've seen that before, it's not like the number 3 was particularly the talisman for their team or had even been playing well. You're 1 nil down against a strong side and you've got a headless chicken on the pitch who now pulls up lame AND marking Murray who was doing a superb job in winding him up...surely you take the defender off?

His substitutions made me think that he didn't have a Plan B. It was like watching Brighton under Sami. We scored the second on the 60 minute mark, the third on 64 minutes and their first sub was made at 67 minutes and then 2 more at 74. Surely those changes came far too late and why do it piecemeal?

Their play in the last 10 minutes proved Russell Martin's comments spot on, they'd completely given up. I can understand being shell-shocked by the game but I would have thought that he would have been remonstrating at them to try for a consolation goal or even to play for the full 90 minutes but he looked forlorn. Can you imagine the likes of Mick McCarthy, Hughton, Hasselbank et al putting up with that? If he's still there by the end of November I'll be surprised.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
And all his post match comments seem to be about Norwich - nothing about Albion, when any decent manager would have acknowledged the opposition's performance. He also seemed to dismiss us before the match - defensive and predictable I think we're the words he used. To me he doesn't take enough account of the opposition, which is precisely what CH can do very well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought they set up INCREDIBLY defensively. Especially considering Neil's comments about Norwich being attack minded. Jerome was massively isolated up against Duffy and Dunk. It's as if they hadn't done their homework on us at all.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It is very difficult to play against a team he were defending from the front as well as we were.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I genuinely can't remember a worse goalkeeping display against us. Coincidentally as I was leaving the first Norwich player out onto the coach was John Ruddy, to think he was in the England squad in the not to distant past.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I thought they set up INCREDIBLY defensively. Especially considering Neil's comments about Norwich being attack minded. Jerome was massively isolated up against Duffy and Dunk. It's as if they hadn't done their homework on us at all.

Why would you need to do homework when your opposition is "predictable"?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I was surprised to see Hoolahan come off.
He looked quality all the way through the game.

The only one that did

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The thing that surprised me was that even if they felt like it was all over at say 2-0 then surely it makes sense to have a damage limitation exercise. We all know how important goal difference can be in this league come the business end of the season

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Apart from gifting us a goal dont think Norwich did much wrong in first half. All round us felt they looked the better side and we were fortunate to be ahead. good play by our defence kept it to 1.0. Obvious not in it 2nd half and have never seen a side put in so little effort when 2,0

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Apart from gifting us a goal dont think Norwich did much wrong in first half. All round us felt they looked the better side and we were fortunate to be ahead. good play by our defence kept it to 1.0. Obvious not in it 2nd half and have never seen a side put in so little effort when 2,0

They looked ok in the first half.

But I think that they may have appeared to look better simply because they had the ball more, but in truth they were incredibly ineffective, and CH had set the team out to absorb any pressure and play on the counter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here