Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Yesterday's Performance Was So Important

el punal

Numerous points can be gleaned from our emphatic victory against Norwich, so here are a few of my selection.

Firstly, we have laid to rest the jinx that we cannot beat "top" sides in important games. Last season, as many have pointed out, we failed to beat Middlesbrough, Burnley, Derby, and only beat Hull, at home, at the start of the season.

Secondly, the result and performance yesterday has set down a marker to the rest of the Championship that we mean business, as reflected in our league position.

Thirdly, after 15 games, we have the same number of points (31) as at the corresponding game last season. And, with a much better goal difference. We can now look back on last season as a stepping stone to greater things for this season rather than what might have been.

Finally, I feel that that the team, and the squad, are so much stronger and able to cope in more in difficult situations. Having Sidwell and Duffy, for example, means that we will not have the problems of replacing injured players with makeweights.

I don't know about you, but I'm still on such a high after yesterday's win. I hope that continues into next May.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Winning at Hillsborough

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Firstly, we have laid to rest the jinx that we cannot beat "top" sides in important games.
Anyone who says that isn't worth listening to anyway. Next they'll be telling you we can't win in October or at Shef Wed :lol:

Secondly, the result and performance yesterday has set down a marker to the rest of the Championship that we mean business
What difference does it make whether or not they think we mean business? Also, we were already second in the league and finished with 89 points last year, which should give the other sides the idea that we're contenders.

I agree with your other points though.

el punal

Anyone who says that isn't worth listening to anyway. Next they'll be telling you we can't win in October or at Shef Wed :lol:

What difference does it make whether or not they think we mean business? Also, we were already second in the league and finished with 89 points last year, which should give the other sides the idea that we're contenders.

I agree with your other points though.

Five goals against the so-called second favourites for promotion, and none conceded, has probably put the willies up any doubters. P.S. Substitute willies if you are offended.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I think mentally we're better off too. Last seasons unbeaten start, good though it was, was a bit of a monkey on our backs. Too often we were trying not to lose. Galling thought the Newcastle and Brentford defeats were, it's shown us we can bounce back.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's always nice after a brilliant result and performance not to have a midweek game. Just a warm glow of basking in a victory all week and maybe Chris Hughton will let the players have a day off or two early in the week as a reward.

Bristol City will be very tough next Saturday and after having victory snatched from their grasp at Barnsley, they'll want a reaction.

Having such a good defensive record though breeds confidence and puts the opposition under a lot more pressure as they look to get the breakthrough but also have to watch for a counter-attack.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think mentally we're better off too. Last seasons unbeaten start, good though it was, was a bit of a monkey on our backs. Too often we were trying not to lose. Galling thought the Newcastle and Brentford defeats were, it's shown us we can bounce back.

Yes

Attachments

• Part.jpg
    Part.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 551

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Already this season we've sacked 2 managers, beaten Norwich for the first time in 33 years and after 102 years finally won at Hillsborough.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yesterday our goal difference improved by 10 (ten) against Norwich and Huddersfield. Given that we lost out on goal difference last season it could be the difference this year

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Yeah but we might alternatively consider an inward smug grin rather than telling the rest of the EFL how fantastic we are and that they really need to sit up and watch us. It is the ' under the radar' thing.

It makes the losses, which of course there will be, less subject to ridicule from other clubs' fans' forums.

Perhaps/almost certainly I am wrong !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Five goals against the so-called second favourites for promotion, and none conceded, has probably put the willies up any doubters.
But how is that going to get us more points?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here