• IMG_5108.JPG
    IMG_5108.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 982

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It is quite clearly a smoked haddock fishcake on a bed of wilted spinach, topped with a poached egg and hollandaise, and a basket of twice-cooked chips.

Looks quite decent to me.

£12.95

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is quite clearly a smoked haddock fishcake on a bed of wilted spinach, topped with a poached egg and hollandaise.

Yep, £40 plus VAT ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is quite clearly a smoked haddock fishcake on a bed of wilted spinach, topped with a poached egg and hollandaise.

Very close. You need to tweak two elements of your answer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You know the drill:

What is it?

And how much.

No idea, don't care, but I just feel I need to say that that is the most pretentious looking meal I have seen for ages and I bet it has some really fancy name and is well overpriced.

All that is wrong with Nouvelle Cuisine...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Chips look good. Not sure about the spinach though, looks pretty soggy.

£10.99

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is quite clearly a smoked haddock fishcake on a bed of wilted spinach, topped with a poached egg and hollandaise, and a basket of twice-cooked chips.

Looks quite decent to me.

£12.95

Must have more than just haddock - probably includes salmon as well ? And the chips will be TRIPLE cooked as that allows another 20% to be added. £14.95

Edit - having tea in a cardboard cup kind of negates the pretentiousness a bit.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was salmon and dill fish cake, poached egg and chips. 14.50 to you Sir.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Portions look a bit mean.

Why do the chips need cooking twice - is that because they were just presented as a raw spud first time round?

The paper cup is definitely down market.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Portions look a bit mean.

Why do the chips need cooking twice - is that because they were just presented as a raw spud first time round?

The paper cup is definitely down market.

Yes they do which makes much easier to cook on order and therefore more annoying when I see that used a premium description.

Someone clever in catering sussed a few years ago you could fry them first (hours ahead) then quickly fry them again later.

.. and we've been paying for it ever since.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes they do which makes much easier to cook on order and therefore more annoying when I see that used a premium description.

Someone clever in catering sussed a few years ago you could fry them first (hours ahead) then quickly fry them again later.

To be fair when double, or triple, frying is done properly and not as a way of preparing them in advance of a rush they can taste sublime.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Eh ? Anywhere serving chips has been doing this for donkey's years, from the humble chippy upwards. I worked as a kitchen dogsbody in a pub when I was at school at weekends and we always pre-cooked chips to about 70% then finished them off at a very high heat for a few mins before serving (in the early 80s). TRIPLE cooked chips are premium.......thanks Heston.....[emoji3]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here