Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A view from Russell Martin.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
  • ITV REPORT
  • 30 October 2016 at 9:33am

[h=1]Norwich City captain accuses players of 'giving up' in 'humiliating' Brighton defeat[/h]
stream_img.jpg

Norwich were completely outplayed at Brighton. Credit: PABrighton and Hove Albion 5-0 Norwich City

Norwich City captain Russell Martin pulled no punches after his team were thrashed 5-0 at promotion rivals Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday - labelling their performance "embarrassing and humiliating."

The Canaries put in an abject performance on the South coast, with Martin even going as far to suggest that some players "gave up".

A hat-trick from Glenn Murray, plus goals from Lewis Dunk and Anthony Knockaert ensured that Brighton opened up a four-point gap on their opponents in the Championship table to cement their position in the automatic promotion spots.

stream_img.jpg

Russell Martin said some of his teammates gave up. Credit: PA"It's rubbish, the worst one yet," Martin told the club's official website.

"Too many lads gave up, it's as simple as that. We need to take an honest look at ourselves because we keep getting told we're Premier League players but that counts for nothing if you can't fight or win battles.
"We didn't win a battle all over the pitch. It's humiliating; if it doesn't hurt people enough then they need to take a look at themselves.
"It's embarrassing, if I'm being honest. That shouldn't happen at any level of professional football, especially with the players we've got."

The heavy defeat increased the pressure on manager Alex Neil, as the Canaries' run without a win in all competitions extended to four games.

stream_img.jpg

Both Timm Klose and Michael McGovern made costly errors. Credit: PAFollowing the final whistle, Neil apologised to the 3,000 fans that made the long trip to the AMEX Stadium.

12​
How many league games Norwich City have gone without a clean sheet.

"All I can really do is apologise, particularly to the fans who travelled down to watch the game because we should have served up better than that," he said.

"After the third goal, I would expect us with the quality and experience we've got to go and shut up shop basically, and put it down to a bad day. But it ended in a manner which is probably humiliating for everyone."

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2016...-of-giving-up-in-humiliating-brighton-defeat/

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Honest and likeable bloke that Russell Martin.

I would suggest the opposite is true of him.

No one gave up more than him. Watch his part (or lack of it) in the 5th goal. Didn't even try to get back when he played Knockeart on side.

Slaughters his friends and team mates in public for self preservation purposes, suggesting that team mates gave up which by default is suggesting that he didn't. Even if he did chastise the players in the dressing room, anything that happened in that dressing room and it should not be for public consumption. How on earth is that going to help for the next match when your own team mates are slating you to the press.

We had a moment like that away to Rotherham last year. We all know from press stories that the Manager kept them in a long time after the match and it was reported that a lot of shouting was heard but no one came out to the press and slated anyone. We went on a brilliant run of form after that because it brought the team together.

The Russell Martin self preservation kiss and tell will do absolutely nothing to unite that dressing room, which in a way is good for us in the grand scheme of things but I most certainly wouldn't refer to Russell Martin as an ''Honest Likeable Bloke''

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I also read those comments as self serving. Not sure if they gave up either. It seemed more like they were completely outplayed in the second half. They were slow in reaction and tried to make up for it with niggardly petty fouls. Exemplified by the sub who came on playing on their right side and ran around like a headless chicken. He was quite simply not good enough which is the same for most of their team. To say they didn't try implies they were capable......

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath

No one gave up more than him. Watch his part (or lack of it) in the 5th goal. Didn't even try to get back when he played Knockeart on side.

'

Somewhere in between I guess but I did take a second look after his comments and agree that he himself was one of the offenders. Not just for the 5th goal but several other chances which didn't result in goals. He was ball watching and rarely tracked his runner. If they sit down to watch it again together then I would be calling him out if I was a fellow defender...Pots & Kettles Russell?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Slaughters his friends and team mates in public for self preservation purposes, suggesting that team mates gave up which by default is suggesting that he didn't. Even if he did chastise the players in the dressing room, anything that happened in that dressing room and it should not be for public consumption. How on earth is that going to help for the next match when your own team mates are slating you to the press.

We had a moment like that away to Rotherham last year. We all know from press stories that the Manager kept them in a long time after the match and it was reported that a lot of shouting was heard but no one came out to the press and slated anyone. We went on a brilliant run of form after that because it brought the team together.

The Russell Martin self preservation kiss and tell will do absolutely nothing to unite that dressing room, which in a way is good for us in the grand scheme of things but I most certainly wouldn't refer to Russell Martin as an ''Honest Likeable Bloke''

Not sure if you know him and perhaps dislike him, but that aside I have to agree with your every word, it is a conclusion that many within the game (and Norwich) will feel too, a very well made point.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Indeed; and the only way we knew about the shouting and bawling in the dressing room, was from a Rotherham journalist.
Our team back each other in everything. #together

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here