Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In praise of the unsung heroes

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We are lucky to have numerous big and obvious heroes. We all know who they are.

But we have less obvious ones. Thought turns to Messrs Bong and Sidwell to kick this one off. Working hard at a high, yet less than obvious level.

What a team we have.

Great days to be an Albion fan.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

But we have less obvious ones. Thought turns to Messrs Bong and Sidwell to kick this one off. Working hard at a high, yet less than obvious level.

What a team we have.

Both MOM performances today if someone hadn't got a hat trick.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

What a team we have.

Spot on Bozza, both players mentioned have been excellent in the last 3-4 games.

Losing Bong was a terrible blow last season

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I post this because, as Anthony Knockaert left the field to plaudits, so did Steve Sidwell. The last two to do so.

Chants rang out for the little magician but, in my mind at least, the other put in a bigger performance today.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I post this because, as Anthony Knockaert left the field to plaudits, so did Steve Sidwell. The last two to do so.

Chants rang out for the little magician but, in my mind at least, the other put in a bigger performance today.

Absolutely. IMO Steve has played & organised like a captain for the last few games

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Bong was being slagged off by a number of our supporters not too long ago. The depth of knowledge about injury recovery and peak performance seems quite thin on the ground with some fans. No below par performances today of course

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The quality and depth we now have in midfield is the major difference from last season.

🐕

Agreed. I think Kayal missed three games last season and we didn't win any of them. He's missed the last six (and Stephens has only started two of those) and we've won four and drawn two. What a difference.

Having said that, Duffy and Murray have made a big difference from last season too.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Skalak (3 assists) Bruno 36, Sidwell, all heroes needing much more praise. Not forgetting Duffy, immense. Big lovely man mountain.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

What a team we have.

Agreed. Can I add Baldock too? Both he and Bong look completely different players to the first month of the season. He didn't score today but he worked very hard playing off Murray and played his part and he has started to score more.

Skalak also. His crossing is so accurate. Three assists in one game is pretty impressive.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
I loved (first time round) Sidwel, hated him last season but I've got to say he has been great this season. Bong is getting better and better so we are starting to click in 2nd place without getting out of 2nd gear until today

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Skalak. Seems to be much maligned by some. Only the 3 assists today.

Thought Skalak was absolutely brilliant today and worked his socks off. As you say, 3 assists plus some great deliveries, terrific movement off the ball and oozing confidence. At his very best in an Albion shirt and a pleasure to watch.

That was a truly special Albion performance and a privilege to witness. Okay, Norwich weren't at their best but we demolished them and exerted total control in all disciplines. I love it when we don't sit back and go at teams and today proved what we're capable of dishing out to anyone in this division when we're firing on all cylinders. We were brimming with confidence and at times it was hard to believe that we were playing against Premiership quality opposition. Our work ethic didn't waver and we chased everything for 90+ minutes.

We are in a great place now, with players competing for places and strength in depth. Early days yet, but with last season's heartache still fresh in CH's and the team's mind I am sure they will learn from that and be more tactically astute this season. 10 clean sheets in 15 starts is a quite remarkable statistic at this level.

Endorsing [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s earlier comments these are truly great times to be a Seagulls fan. Wonderful stuff. Having just got back to Warwickshire after a long drive home from Sussex my lad and I can hardly speak having cheered and sung our lungs out at the Amex today! There can't have been too many passengers on the M40 this evening belting out GOSBTS!:cheers:

Attached is a pic of a packed North Stand at kick off. Well done to all in there for the tremendous noise you made and for inspiring the WSL North to make a lot more noise than usual!

North Stand.JPG

Happy days, UTA ! :albion2:

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I thought Baldock worked so hard today. Putting loads of pressure on their centre halves.

Would echo the comments for sidwell and bong top

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here