Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Duffy & Dunk Partnership

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Even forgetting today's result, that is top flight quality for a CB pairing. They are like a brick wall at their best.

Murray and Knockaert will grab the most of the media glory but I was so impressed by those two today.

Duffy is some kind of ball heading freak. What a great show of form by Sidwell too. In my mind, one or two really canny signings in Jan and we could get over that elusive line. I know the the canaries keeper was one digit short of the normal six finger variety but even so, that was epic today :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Even forgetting today's result, that is top flight quality for a CB pairing. They are like a brick wall at their best.

Murray and Knockaert will grab the most of the media glory but I was so impressed by those two today.

Duffy is some kind of ball heading freak. What a great show of form by Sidwell too. In my mind, one or two really canny signings in Jan and we could get over that elusive line. I know the the canaries keeper was one digit short of the normal six finger variety but even so, that was epic today :)

When did Duffy last miss a header ? He's a monster.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't wait to see if anyone gets brave enough to square up to him. That £4m seems a top class investment now
Oh yes right to the top of the, 'you need 7 fighters' thread.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Duffy has been excellent, no question. We've now got Hünemeier and Goldson sitting around twiddling their thumbs, and both know they're not getting in the team as it stands. Dunk does the football, and Duffy does the head it and kick it. It's all very simple back there at the moment, Duffy tackles everything that he can and challenges for anything in the air he wants to and Dunk has the discipline and class to make sure he covers the spaces if required but 9/10 Duffy wins the header, or cleans everything out in the tackle.

Case in point, Duffy's venture forward today and then crunching EVERYTHING'S MINE tackle to buy him time to get back into position. 9 games unbeaten, 7 clean sheets in that time. No coincidance and by the way, Stockdale deserves his mention as well in that. The defensive unit of our back 5 is outstanding.

Obviously, I still think we paid massively over the odds for him but there's no question he's settled in well, and deserves our respect. Long may his good form last, and long may the partnerships in the defence last.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Duffy looks a superb signing now. We just don't look like conceding, even when under sustained pressure. That's how titles are won. Just saying...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was really unsure about signing Duffy, we seemed to have an abundance of riches at centre back, but I can see why we splashed out now. A great partnership and both only 24 years old!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Duffy has been excellent, no question. We've now got Hünemeier and Goldson sitting around twiddling their thumbs, and both know they're not getting in the team as it stands. Dunk does the football, and Duffy does the head it and kick it. It's all very simple back there at the moment, Duffy tackles everything that he can and challenges for anything in the air he wants to and Dunk has the discipline and class to make sure he covers the spaces if required but 9/10 Duffy wins the header, or cleans everything out in the tackle.

Case in point, Duffy's venture forward today and then crunching EVERYTHING'S MINE tackle to buy him time to get back into position. 9 games unbeaten, 7 clean sheets in that time. No coincidance and by the way, Stockdale deserves his mention as well in that. The defensive unit of our back 5 is outstanding.

Obviously, I still think we paid massively over the odds for him but there's no question he's settled in well, and deserves our respect. Long may his good form last, and long may the partnerships in the defence last.

Good summary sir but I disagree about the fee tbh. He is now showing he was worth every penny.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Privileged to have them as both looked destined for the PL. To have Goldson as 4th in line today is mind blowing; such a strong defensive set up. Let's not forget that the full backs are outstanding too, Bong had a blinder today and Bruno is class. I've never been more happy with an Albion back line, and in recent years we had Bridge and Upson!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

We had a bit of a chuckle when Duffy went forward, eventually lost the ball and their guy starts going forward and then......thwack......player on floor, ball in the East Stand. [emoji23][emoji23] Quality.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Right in front of our fans at Sheffield he blocked a shot with his face and it went out for a throw in and he hardly blinked - that's committment

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Good summary sir but I disagree about the fee tbh. He is now showing he was worth every penny.

As I've said before, it wasn't a lack of goals scored that did us last season. It was the ones we gave away at Bolton, Derby and QPR and at home to Burnley. Back in the 1980s, Everton sold Gary Lineker and bought Dave Watson and went from runners-up to champions.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
As I've said before, it wasn't a lack of goals scored that did us last season. It was the ones we gave away at Bolton, Derby and QPR and at home to Burnley. Back in the 1980s, Everton sold Gary Lineker and bought Dave Watson and went from runners-up to champions.

I agree to a point but we are still one short up front though. The biggest issue in Jan is keeping a few players more than getting a few in

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Privileged to have them as both looked destined for the PL. To have Goldson as 4th in line today is mind blowing; such a strong defensive set up. Let's not forget that the full backs are outstanding too, Bong had a blinder today and Bruno is class. I've never been more happy with an Albion back line, and in recent years we had Bridge and Upson!

The back 5 under Mike Bailey were excellent and a division higher

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here