Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray.....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I never said anything believing the club offering less than his existing salary. I said he accepted less than the other clubs were offering. I would assume that was more than Posh were paying him.

It's a debate about a situation where there is more than one side of a story.

Sorry, I was referring to the story from Virgo that the contract offer to Murray was less than he was on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The fact that we started life at the Amex in the Championship with such a bloody good team well equipped for the step-up, is largely down to Gustavo Poyet. He put in place the backbone of a squad that finished a comfortable 10th, and then went on to make the Playoffs two seasons running.

Yes Bloom helped finance it, but it was Poyets team. I don't think we should take for granted that ANY old manager could've taken us from 20th in L1 to where Gus took us. Who knows where we'd have been if Bloom didn't take a punt on Gus back then. Regardless of the sour ending, Poyet only really has Mullary as competition here in the Best Manager Ever stakes.

It's largely down to Bloom who gave Poyet the best budget any Albion manager has every had except probably for Mullery. Also, why is that the team that wins is down to the manager's choices and the team that fails is down to the recruitment team!

I agree with others that Adams achieved more taking into account the restrictions he had.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Where would we be without Poyet? Pretty much exactly where we are - provided Tony Bloom kept throwing his money at the club and at some stage appointed Chris Hughton to be our manager.

It's largely down to Bloom who gave Poyet the best budget any Albion manager has every had except probably for Mullery. Also, why is that the team that wins is down to the manager's choices and the team that fails is down to the recruitment team!

I agree with others that Adams achieved more taking into account the restrictions he had.

Since when has throwing money at it been a guarantee of success ? OK we had a competitive budget for sure, but I don't recall us blowing silly money on getting out of L1. Poyet used his budget wisely, gave the club an identity, and imposed a system of play that swept us from the arse-end of L1 to the brink of the PL. I think its a bit simplistic to assume ANYONE could've come in and done that just with money. Poyet was an INSPIRED appointment.

Arguably Micky Adams Mk.1 did as well if not better, given the severely limited resources at his disposal. Took us up as championes one division, and left Peter Taylor with a relatively straightforward steering job for the double championes season.

Fair play, Adams really did pull the club up by its bootstraps from its lowest ebb at the time, agreed. My memory of him is tainted by his absolutely CATASTROPHIC second spell, but he deserves massive credit for the first.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
This might not go down well, but I would have preferred Murray returning last year instead of Bobby even though he is also a legend. We would have got more game time outta Murray and he is better at defending corners aswell.

Football-wise, I agree. But we signed Bobby to cheer up supporters after such an awful season, and the morale boost provided might've been a catalyst for our unbeaten run last season

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And amongst all of this there is poor old CMS, he is the one who suffered most from the move.

Got paid a HUGE wage for his ability, and a LOT of patience and support from the fans, so did ok short term out of it at least.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

But it still wasn't even close to the highest budget in League One. Gus overachieved. I believe the year we VIOLATED League One, we had the 4th highest budget. That season was SUPERB.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Where would we be without Poyet? Pretty much exactly where we are - provided Tony Bloom kept throwing his money at the club and at some stage appointed Chris Hughton to be our manager.

Mad speculation. Gus overachieved compared to his budget in pretty much every season here. He massively improved us. Paul Barber has mentioned areas of non-playing where Gus helped bring in higher standards. Like him or not he definitely helped push this club on, supported ably by Tony Bloom, of course.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
But Ken Brown nor Tony Bloom never get a mention. The ones who held the purse strings. Poyet went public with the two different pots of money for wages & transfers, which wasn't denied by the club. He had to persuade them to mix them together.
It's just too easy to blame one person.

But Bloom made it very clear at a NWSS meeting that it was Poyet's decision not to give Murray what he wanted.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We were essentially Poyet's first management job. He did great for a long while. Then however he got inflated and a bit greedy believing the grass was greener. He found that it was not, although moneywise he is probably much richer. We are fortunate in that CH has more experience and knows the downside of management. He is a great fit for us right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here