Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four Nations Rugby League

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
England v New Zealand just about to kick off. Not really a fan of Rugby League - Union is my favoured code. But internationals are of interest especially when playing New Zealand.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
England v Australia.

Just about to kick off at the London (Olympic) Stadium.

Surprised it's not being played at Old Trafford or Elland Road.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
England v Australia.

Just about to kick off at the London (Olympic) Stadium.

Surprised it's not being played at Old Trafford or Elland Road.

Trying to grow the game outside of the heartlands and a decent looking crowd there (36,000) there are also a lot of Aussies in London so can promote to them

Final next week is at Anfield so back to the heartlands

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I remember we used to play Rugby League against Australia as GB. Barring a few far-northern outposts Rugby League isn't really played outside of Yorkshire and Lancashire, so why do we now spread our too-small talent pool across two or even three teams? A GB side might have made a better go of that today.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I remember we used to play Rugby League against Australia as GB. Barring a few far-northern outposts Rugby League isn't really played outside of Yorkshire and Lancashire, so why do we now spread our too-small talent pool across two or even three teams? A GB side might have made a better go of that today.

During the world cup we play as GB which is good - I think its just that when it increased from the Tri to the Four nations, when played on this side of the world they wanted more than just France (who would be the only team) and Scotland proved the other night that they are getting better.

International games are more a showcase and England rather than GB are a better match for NZ IMHO.

The pinnacle of RL is State of Origin - the quality is better than international even, and there is an argument that it is brought back over here with Yorkshire v the dark and rainy side of the hills which it is argued would help with intensity

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
During the world cup we play as GB which is good - I think its just that when it increased from the Tri to the Four nations, when played on this side of the world they wanted more than just France (who would be the only team) and Scotland proved the other night that they are getting better.

International games are more a showcase and England rather than GB are a better match for NZ IMHO.

The pinnacle of RL is State of Origin - the quality is better than international even, and there is an argument that it is brought back over here with Yorkshire v the dark and rainy side of the hills which it is argued would help with intensity

GB has been binned off.

The home nations have forever split, how it should be.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You are right, that is a little embarrassing

I blame it on living down south too long and not having a season ticket to the trin

I only know as I heard it on Talksport yesterday lol

I assume it's to make a World Cup more than 4 teams

They should have let North America have the next World Cup,big own goal for growth.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
During the world cup we play as GB which is good - ...
According to Wikipedia we haven't played as GB in the World Cup since 1995.

It's a pity as I quite like RL, but as a Southerner I don't have a club team (and London is still 'the north' for me!), so rather like Rugby Union my main interest is in the international game. And despite the fact I always refer to myself as 'English' rather than 'British' I can't work up much enthusiasm for the England RL team as I feel we're hamstringing ourselves by trying to pretend that the sport is more widespread than it is. Do they even play it in Scotland?

Very depressing watching Australia always thrash us, at least as GB we won the World Cup three times.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

There's been talk here of playing one in the UK, possibly London.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
There's been talk here of playing one in the UK, possibly London.

I remember there use to annual 'Roses' games. Apparently they stopped in 2003. I noticed (sad anorak that I am) that the crowd in the1975 game was 700! I supposes it's a bit like the Home Internationals in football - although there's occasionally calls for them to be re-introduced, there's usually a good reason why these sorts of games died off in the first place?
The crowd of 36,000 for the England v Aus game was a bit disappointing too I think.

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
The crowd yesterday was the biggest of the tournament so far and will probably be claimed to be a success being that it was out of the heartlands. Certainly most of the accents were from were the game is at it's strongest with a handful of curious tourists thrown in. As a side, my first visit to the London Stadium. Tricky to find through what is now a mass of tower blocks shooting up, really poor bars inside the stadium and only one massive concourse all the way round the inside with steps up to the higher tiers. The queues for beers when there is a big crowd must make ours look small. Given how much this cost to build I wasn't impressed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here