Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wearing your poppy

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I notice people are wearing poppies on TV already. I understand they need to be on sale for a couple of weeks before the 11th but I only ever wear mine on the 9th, 10th and 11th and take it off after leaving the remembrance service. When do you wear yours?

Enjoy the match, it's gonna be a smasher :bhasign:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I notice people are wearing poppies on TV already. I understand they need to be on sale for a couple of weeks before the 11th but I only ever wear mine on the 9th, 10th and 11th and take it off after leaving the remembrance service. When do you wear yours?

But insn't Remebrance Sunday the 13th this year, so the poppy should be worn up to and including the 13th?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Oh FFS, people can wear them wherever and whenever they like.

In response to this nonsense I'm going to go out and buy/wear one today

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Of course they can. It's the fact that everyone is forced to wear them for weeks on the telly, which imho degrades their meaning.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Did I say they couldn't? I was asking. Anyway, hopefully a win today will cheer you up, misery guts :)

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But insn't Remebrance Sunday the 13th this year, so the poppy should be worn up to and including the 13th?

Ah, I'll wear it on the 13th additionally in that case.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Of course they can. It's the fact that everyone is forced to wear them for weeks on the telly, which imho degrades their meaning.

Totally this, and you know it is the fact that it's the production staff making sure they are wearing them than the presenters themselves making a conscious effort, especially this far in advance

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Totally this, and you know it is the fact that it's the production staff making sure they are wearing them than the presenters themselves making a conscious effort, especially this far in advance

Indeed. If it was done naturally you would have one or two wearing them now, perhaps, with most people wearing them by the 11th.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Maybe Or perhaps? maybe re enforces the longevity of the poppy wearing.... in the longer run. TV after all is powerful advertising.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think I've actually seen any poppies on sale yet. Mind you, I haven't been looking - I always do and always will buy and wear one, but wouldn't buy it until sometime in the week leading up to Remembrance Day.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I will wear mine with pride. To save the Red Cross money I wear one I purchased 15 years ago and say 'just bought one' when I see collectors on the street.

Joking. A fiver goes in every year.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Well it's working isn't it. Got us thinking and talking about what the poppy means, so that we never forget.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
TV people wearing them is a good thing as I am sure it reminds people to buy them and boosts sales.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
funny to see the (english) presenters on NBC's premiership coverage wearing poppys today as it broadcasts in the states, I wonder what they make of that over there? Guessing it's filmed over here.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Excuse my ignorance, but why was there no fuss with England rugby team having poppies on their shirts , but there was for the England football team??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here