Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graeme Le Saux article in today's Guardian

hertsseagull

hertsseagull
May 15, 2011
A good piece by Le Saux in today's Guardian about getting homophobia out of football - https://www.theguardian.com/comment...tball-homophobic-abuse-pitch-fans-gay-players

The only shame is the wording of a para about the Albion:

“We just have to work harder, to create better education, less tolerance of intolerance, and make sure these people get exposed. That’s already happening – just look at the shift at Brighton and Hove Albion, where homophobic abuse used to be commonplace, but has been effectively driven out of the stands.”

I assume Le Saux is referring to the efforts made by the club and authorities to stop homophobic chanting by away fans visiting the Amex, but the wording of the piece could leave others to think that we had our own homophobic crowd element which needed dealing with (which to my knowledge, wasn't the case).

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Something tells me that people will know that we were on the receiving end (oh Matron!) of the homophobic chanting.:cheery:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Le Saux has got that all arse about face.

Peteinblack

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Graeme Le Saux used to get homophobic abuse from other players - because he read The Guardian (rather than The Sun), and preferred going to the theatre or art galleries with his wife - the irony! - rather than getting pissed-up in god-awful nightclubs or gang-banging drunken wannabe WAGs in cheap hotel rooms.

I'll never forget Robbie Fowler standing in front of Le Saux (as he was about to take a free kick), leaning forward and (miming) pulling his bum cheeks apart.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agree the wording is dodgey but of course he makes a very good point. Even in the last 10 years there's been a noticeable shift in homophobic abuse and there's hardly any these days. BHA and football fans in general deserve a pat on the back for that - I can imagine ones own fans would tell someone to shut up who was being homophobic these days. Unless you're from Burnley etc of course where it's normal...

Proud of the club on this too & we've really moved on in this area in the Amex era. Have to say I'm ashamed of a club like Crystal Palace (2010) who seemed / seem to make no effort to stop their fans signing a song with the lyric 'take it up the bum' in. They should have acted straight away in that with a strong message. I'd personally want it stopped as much because it's incredibly cringeworthy let alone homophobic :ffsparr:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Graeme Le Saux used to get homophobic abuse from other players - because he read The Guardian (rather than The Sun), and preferred going to the theatre or art galleries with his wife - the irony! - rather than getting pissed-up at god-awful nightclubs or gang-banging drunken wannabe WAGs in cheap hotel rooms.

I'll never forget Robbie Fowler standing in front of Le Saux (as he was about to take a free kick), leaning forward and (miming) pulling his bum cheeks apart.

I don't mind if someone is gay or not as long as I don't have it thrust in my face, but when I saw him wearing SANDALS on Match of the Day, purposely flaunting his liberal attitude to sexuality, I felt violated.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I remember at the Millwall away game with the Ryan Harley penalty, the 'Wall fans were regaling us with chants of "Aids, Aids" and "HIV, HIV, HIV" and I managed to get a chant going of "You're just bi-curious". It's always a nice feeling when a chant you make up gets taken up by other fans and I was especially proud of that effort. Trouble is, I think the humour was a little too subtle for the Millwall mob.

See also... "We've got a Catalan, You shop at Matalan".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Agree the wording is dodgey but of course he makes a very good point. Even in the last 10 years there's been a noticeable shift in homophobic abuse and there's hardly any these days. BHA and football fans in general deserve a pat on the back for that

10 years? I'd say 5. I reckon it's only since we got promoted to the Championship with big crowds and a much bigger media presence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here