Defensive and direct

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's certainly been largely the case this season :shrug: I would say direct in a good way though, i.e. accurate long passes, rather than in a "hoof it up to the big man in the box" sort of way.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At the home of the highest scoring team in the Championship last season.
Even if that nonsense was relevant why would it alter AN's opinion on our, lets face it, very defensive and direct team.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Even if that nonsense was relevant why would it alter AN's opinion on our, lets face it, very defensive and direct team.

No team scored more goals than us last season. I'd say that's relevant to whether we are defensive or not. We may not have scored as many goals as Norwich this season but some of our attacking play has still be exhilarating.

As for direct, we all know Dunk is an expert at the diagonal ball to the wing but Neill says we play a lot of long balls to Murray to flick on to Baldock but I can't remember us doing that on many occasions.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No team scored more goals than us last season. I'd say that's relevant to whether we are defensive or not. We may not have scored as many goals as Norwich this season but some of our attacking play has still be exhilarating.

As for direct, we all know Dunk is an expert at the diagonal ball to the wing but Neill says we play a lot of long balls to Murray to flick on to Baldock but I can't remember us doing that on many occasions.
Then we'll have to disagree.

As I see the squads major asset being so strong defensively.
While it looks for 'flick ons' and headers, up the other end.

The only thing stopping the team from being predictable is AK, who is equally direct but more skilful.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Then we'll have to disagree.

As I see the squads major asset being so strong defensively.
While it looks for 'flick ons' and headers, up the other end.

The only thing stopping the team from being predictable is AK, who is equally direct but more skilful.

and Stockdale who you never know if about to throw a clanger

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think this would be more fair if Anthony Knockaert didn't play for us. But he does. And he's probably the most entertaining player to watch in the entire league.

Newcastle are VERY direct (though not in an industrial way), due to Shelvey's pings.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would say solid rather than defensive, and instead of direct I would go with counter attacking with pace if the option is on, or possession based where not. Also more aware of game management.

Anyway whatever we are termed is immaterial, its the result that counts.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah, I'd say we are direct in attack. But in the best way, less faffing about, not so much passing sideways, more winning the ball high up the pitch in good areas due to good pressing and punishing teams. Sometimes it can be less direct and more patient but being flexible is also good. Depends on the game and how we set up.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think this would be more fair if Anthony Knockaert didn't play for us. But he does. And he's probably the most entertaining player to watch in the entire league.

Newcastle are VERY direct (though not in an industrial way), due to Shelvey's pings.

Not just the most entertaining but the BEST player in the league!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're far more attacking with kayal and Stephens playing and if one is missing it's rather defensive :)
Would that be the Kayal & Stephens who's 2 main jobs are:-

1 - Form a defensive 'wall' to break up the opposition's play.
&
B - Get the ball forward asap.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I would say solid rather than defensive, and instead of direct I would go with counter attacking with pace if the option is on, or possession based where not. Also more aware of game management.

Anyway whatever we are termed is immaterial, its the result that counts.

This is the correct answer. We have a lot of variety in our play offensively, and tend to be more possession-based at home, and more direct away. CH has certainly instilled game management into the players too. We're also a team: together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here