Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder Replacement Cost?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Just wondering if there are any car mechanic experts on here who can help with some mechanical advice?

My GF's clutch failed yesterday, it has essentially stuck down. The clutch was fine until this happened.

It got towed to a local garage who today said that the problem was the clutch slave cylinder and to fix it would cost £900, although this would include a new clutch too.

This seemed a lot so she rang around and found somewhere in Shoreham who would do it for £450.

This still seems a lot to me? If it is just the clutch slave or master cylinders that need fixing how much should this be expected to be?

The car is a 2009 Renault Clio diesel.

Thanks!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Only about £40 for a slave cylinder

This is what I have read today.

From my very limited understanding this is relatively simple to do, maybe £200 all in?

The quote for £900 seems way over the top, even £450? If it's just this that needs doing why so much?

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As my TV guilty secret is Wheeler Dealers, I reckon I could replace the thingy in a couple of minutes.
I guarantee being able to do the job without getting greasy, while all screws/bolts etc will easily undo.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont know but assume the slave cylinder is in the gearbox in which case the gearbox will have to come out What part of the world are you in? anywhere near Crowborough as I know a reasonableh garage there.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I dont know but assume the slave cylinder is in the gearbox in which case the gearbox will have to come out What part of the world are you in? anywhere near Crowborough as I know a reasonableh garage there.

Yes apparently the gearbox/clutch needs to be removed, will be a whole day of labour involved.

Nope nowhere near Crowborough, the car is in Burgess Hill at the moment at the garage that it was towed to.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Sounds like her big end's gone.

D

Deleted member 2719

It's a 2009 Renault Clio, diesel engine.

Like BG said if it's a internal slave, it will be in the clutch housing and if it's leaked your clutch will need replacing you probably have a dual mass clutch which are generally dear. Being a Renault generally nothing is straight forward. If she is keeping the car I would put a decent clutch in it not worth going cheap IMO. Good luck.

Disclaimer, I know nothing.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
It's a 2009 Renault Clio, diesel engine.

Yep assuming it's got a dmf you'll need to do that with a clutch = not much change our of a grand

450 maybe clutch only. Normal advice is if you are doing ,1 do both - I find know about matter slave cylinder & getting away with just that..

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Hmm, just looking on 'click mechanic' website and they are quoting ~£120 for replacing the slave cylinder, saying it will take 1-2 hours.

Does this seem unrealistic, the quote is based on the car's registration number.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
You can go on Mr Clutch website and type in your reg and they will give an instant quote. Subject to the dual mass flywheel being ok.

The Mr clutch website are quoting £260 for a clutch replacement. Although this isn't what's wrong, just the clutch slave cylinder.

How on earth can one garage quote £900 for something that another place quotes £120 for?!

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes apparently the gearbox/clutch needs to be removed, will be a whole day of labour involved.

Nope nowhere near Crowborough, the car is in Burgess Hill at the moment at the garage that it was towed to.

If it's in Burgess Hill give Ellis Motors a bell - they're brilliant. No chance they'll rip you off. Workshop is in Sheddingdean industrial estate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here