Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Moyes: is he all that?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Feel a bit sorry for him, but he seems to have completely lost any skill that he may have once had at being a football manager when he was at Everton.

People will say that he has inherited a poor squad at Sunderland or that he didn't get the support at Utd, but in my mind a good football manager is one who through good tactics and man management can get the very best out of what he has.

Teams can buy success and there are many examples of this, but managers who get success within tight budget constraints (Hughton, Warnock (yes, I know) etc)), for me, are a bit of a dying breed.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Was Hughton on a tight budget when promoted with Newcastle? Losing play-offs (Birmingham and Brighton) good achievement but not a "success".

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If he keeps Sunderland up it will be a success, but doesn't appear to have the know how for a relegation fight. Will probably need a win by the next international break or could well be relaxing at home with time on his hands.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I don't know. He was always onto a loser at United, after Fergie the next in charge had an impossible job, especially with the squad he was left. I can understand taking the Sunderland job, I presume he really wanted to be back in work and there's not many prem jobs around, but he got a terrible squad, and the underlying problems there really should have been a warning. However, if he takes them down - which, by rights they should do - then he has a ready-made excuse.

I presume in a stable environment like Everton, with good support from the board, he can probably do a decent job, but he'll not get the chance of one of the big ones again. Maybe he should take on a c'ship job and get them promoted to re-build his CV.

I suspect within football circles he probably still has quite a good rep.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not sure if he's ever been a good manager. He did a good job at Everton, but doing a good job and being good at something aren't necessarily the same thing. I think he's done, if Sunderland sack him then that will be game over for his career I think.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Managers who succeed in fighting the Prem drop are usually chirpy, aggressive or a combination thereof. Moyes is the opposite - i.e. dour, and once the mystique has gone what are you left with?

I think that after his United disaster Moyes should have held out for the Celtic job. The thing about that gig is that you never get a series of testing matches that builds up the pressure. Being a Prem side it's relentless whereas the worst case scenario for Celtic is they lose in the Champions League and to Rangers, then cuff St. Johnstone 3-NIL.

Brendan Rogers will win trophies with Celtic and after 2-3 seasons he'll probably be rehabilitated enough to be in the running for some recent Prem jobs, whereas Moyes looks like a basket case that would struggle even in the Championship.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i recall his record at Man U wasnt that bad, it wasnt great or up to their expectations, but not terrible. the start was and he failed to deal with a bunch of issues, i still think they should have stuck with him for a while to see where it would go. (van Gaal did no better)

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I dont think he helped himself by stating a the start of the season that Sunderland would be in a relegation battle.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If he keeps Sunderland up it will be a success, but doesn't appear to have the know how for a relegation fight. Will probably need a win by the next international break or could well be relaxing at home with time on his hands.

Football managers are a strange breed. For instance, I work in software development. If I got sacked three times in a row because my code wasn't up to scratch I'd probably think "Hmm, maybe this racket isn't for me".

Managers though, they'll just keep plugging away. It's both admirable and stupid.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Football managers are a strange breed. For instance, I work in software development. If I got sacked three times in a row because my code wasn't up to scratch I'd probably think "Hmm, maybe this racket isn't for me".

Managers though, they'll just keep plugging away. It's both admirable and stupid.

So, you wouldn't have had Chris Hughton after he'd been sacked by Spurs, Newcastle and Norwich?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Absolutely not what I said in any way, shape or form.

Well, you said that he should have given up being a football manager,.in other words, he wouldn't be at Brighton. So, that's not very different from you not wanting him - the only difference is that you think CH should not have applied for the job

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Well, you said that he should have given up being a football manager,.in other words, he wouldn't be at Brighton. So, that's not very different from you not wanting him - the only difference is that you think CH should not have applied for the job

Nope, I said if I was him I'd have given up because I'm much less inclined to continue trying something I've failed at multiple times.

Hence why they're admirable but also stupid. To me.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Why on earth pick Sunderland, unless you thought as it's likely to go wrong and there will be a payout. Should have persuaded a smaller club to give him time to rebuild.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I don't particularly rate him as a Manager. Can't really recall what he was like at Preston, but had some very up and down seasons with Everton. One thing that has always intrigued me about his time at Man Utd is did Fergie or the board give him any assistance with what players to buy? Surely Fergie had a shopping list of players he would have bought if he hadn't retired? It seems to me that they left it up to Moyes and bought very average players, Fellani for example.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Sunderland appear to be this years Villa - a club that have previously flirted with relegation but will soon become stranded at the bottom.

Moyes spent 17m on buying Ndong, 8.8m on Djilobodji from Chelsea and 4.5m on Paddy McNair over summer, so definitely can't blame lack of support / funds this time round.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't particularly rate him as a Manager. Can't really recall what he was like at Preston, but had some very up and down seasons with Everton. One thing that has always intrigued me about his time at Man Utd is did Fergie or the board give him any assistance with what players to buy? Surely Fergie had a shopping list of players he would have bought if he hadn't retired? It seems to me that they left it up to Moyes and bought very average players, Fellani for example.

He got lucky at Preston. Cant remember who the Manager they had before him but they had won the old Third Division and they had John Macken up front and Sean Gregan in Midfied. That was a good Preston side but he inherited it.

At Everton he must have had something because he sustained reasonable success over a few years but Everton sold Francis Jeffers and Wayne Rooney as youngsters for big money. That funded very good buys like Tim Cahill and The South African lad, cant remember his name, so his record at Everton has to be respected but apart from that his Managerial record is either poor or fairly average

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here