Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking & travel advice for Norwich

broadsman

Oct 25, 2016
Afternoon All
I was hoping for some reliable local knowledge to help us out tomorrow. I am driving down from Norwich in the morning with my wife and son. She wants to spend the day around Brighton and the shops etc. while my son and I are at the game. She has wanted to visit Brighton for a long while so this is the perfect chance with the game coinciding with half term. We are hoping to arrive around 10.30-11am to have a look round and lunch before us two go to the Amex. With the free transport option in mind should we park in the city centre somewhere then use the train or bus to get to the ground. Then travel back after to meet her, leaving Brighton to go home once the traffic dies down. Would that be better than her having to find her way back to the shops if we used the park and ride/match day parking? Is there anywhere good ( and cheap) to park in the centre- NCP multi storeys maybe? Would they be close to the links to the Amex? Look forward to seeing your ideas.
Also looking forward to my first ever visit to the Amex, having been to the Withdean but never the Goldstone. She was reluctantly going to attend her first away match tomorrow but as she was not too keen to start with I returned her ticket today. She decided we have been too poor lately so did not want to "waste £32 to see us get hammered 6-0 " They were her words not mine!!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Parking in Brighton is horrendously expensive.

Park in Lewes, it's a nice little town for an afternoon stroll around and easy enough to get back to.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bite the bullet and park at Brighton Station for £13.10 IMO.

Considering train to ground is free you're doing okay.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Brighton Station car park is actually the best place and easiest place to park in central Brighton these days and will be ideal for you to get to the ground. It's also never anywhere near full. And much easier to get away from.

A full day is £13 https://www.southernrailwayparking.com/consumer/find-and-book/carparks/brighton. Probably half the price of any of the NCPs etc.

Just note that you don't actually get a ticket, they take a photo of your car, then when you return you type your reg into the machine and it tells you how long you've been.

Edit: For comparison, the Russell Road NCP just of the seafront, which is where the tourists get herded, is £25 for 5 hours!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Afternoon All
I was hoping for some reliable local knowledge to help us out tomorrow. I am driving down from Norwich in the morning with my wife and son. She wants to spend the day around Brighton and the shops etc. while my son and I are at the game. She has wanted to visit Brighton for a long while so this is the perfect chance with the game coinciding with half term. We are hoping to arrive around 10.30-11am to have a look round and lunch before us two go to the Amex. With the free transport option in mind should we park in the city centre somewhere then use the train or bus to get to the ground. Then travel back after to meet her, leaving Brighton to go home once the traffic dies down. Would that be better than her having to find her way back to the shops if we used the park and ride/match day parking? Is there anywhere good ( and cheap) to park in the centre- NCP multi storeys maybe? Would they be close to the links to the Amex? Look forward to seeing your ideas.
Also looking forward to my first ever visit to the Amex, having been to the Withdean but never the Goldstone. She was reluctantly going to attend her first away match tomorrow but as she was not too keen to start with I returned her ticket today. She decided we have been too poor lately so did not want to "waste £32 to see us get hammered 6-0 " They were her words not mine!!

Is she generally right about her football predictions?

I really hope she is.
As for parking ,Brighton is a nightmare, amongst the most expensive places in the country.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Given your (and your wife's) plans, I'd echo the sentiments about parking at Brighton station.

6-0? We don't do 6-0 any more. We do 1-0, then sit back for the last 15 minutes, having gone from a winning 442 to 451, and see if the oppo can score. Sometimes they do (most recently, Preston, they equalised in the third minute of extra time [note to Albion pedants - yes, I know it was 2-1 prior to their equaliser, not 1-0]); sometimes, they don't (e.g. Wolves, despite having 750 corners in the last 4 minutes)...

I'm hoping your poor run continues just a little longer - we might just be playing you at the right time.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I would park up in Churchill Square shopping centre car park, then nip across the road and catch a number 25 bus to the stadium (give it a good hour to get there, though, so you're not too stressed out prior to k.o.) It's not cheap, but no more expensive than anywhere else in town, and cheaper than several other options. And slap bang in the middle of the shops, and a stones throw from the Lanes/Laines, so the most stress free option for Mrs B I no. Enjoy the game, but don't get too down hearted when things don't go your way.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Park up at station 11, straight down West Street to the seafront, little peek at the Pavilion then lunch in Franco Manca on Church Road. You two off to the game via the free train from the station and the missus takes in the North Laine then down to Cos and Little East Street area for shopping then up to Churchill Square before a brisk walk up the station to meet you on your return from watching a hard fought 2-2 draw and out of the town nice and easy as the station parking will miss all the shit traffic that the likes of Churchill Square attracts.

Jan 30, 2008
Afternoon All
Women at football :facepalm:
regards
DR

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Bite the bullet and park at Brighton Station for £13.10 IMO.

Considering train to ground is free you're doing okay.

Good advice this.
That isn't too bad for the middle of Brighton, I paid £8.00 for the day at Haywards Heath this week.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Afternoon All

7-0 I reckon!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
Drive to Lewes
Park up there. Its no more than £5 for all day unlike Brighton's car parking madness.
You get the free train and back to Falmer for the match . She can get a return train ticket to Brighton. Its £6.40.
Less hassle than driving all the way into Brighton too.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Are we missing something. He has a match ticket and a car. Park in centre for an hour or so and then drive to Mithras House where it's free. Then back to the car and into the centre at about 5:30 to pick her up.
One thing I would say, allow TWO HOURS to get to the Amex. You'll want to look around our shrine and it will be busy.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Why not park at Mithras House. Free parking and busses outside into center [ bus numbers 23,25,29,48,49 off the top of my head, all about every 10 mins] You can take the P&R to the stadium from there. After the match either catch train or one of the above numbered busses back into City Centre.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why not park at Mithras House. Free parking and busses outside into center [ bus numbers 23,25,29,48,49 off the top of my head, all about every 10 mins] You can take the P&R to the stadium from there. After the match either catch train or one of the above numbered busses back into City Centre.

Not the 23 - that goes to the Marina not the City Centre - and the 29 doesn't stop at Mithras House. But he could get the 24 from MH and (if he walks a couple of stops) the 28,29 and 38 as well.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I'm not sure what time Mithras House actually opens, but I thought the free travel only applies after 11:30am on match days. Don't know if that's actually enforced or not though??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here