Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber Brighton

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Launching at 4pm in Brighton today!

I'm personally a massive advocate of uber and believe cab drivers need to get with the times.

Not associated with uber whatsoever btw, just excited it's finally in our town

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also a big Uber fan, never more so than in Florida this past Summer where we used it almost exclusively, saving on getting a rental car for most of the trip.

(I've removed your referral code because if everyone did this, NSC would be an utter spamfest)

D

Deleted member 22389

So how do Taxi drivers make a decent living if everyone is undercutting each other, or are the fares regulated?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's the "gig economy", getting more and more prevalent. Competition is generally a good thing, but we need a way to ensure people are being fairly paid, and it's not just a way for employers to get away without paying sick/holiday pay and standards are kept up.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Also a big Uber fan, never more so than in Florida this past Summer where we used it almost exclusively, saving on getting a rental car for most of the trip.

(I've removed your referral code because if everyone did this, NSC would be an utter spamfest)

I haven't signed up yet, but will do - Does NSC have a referral code that I can use? Anything which will add to the coffers and support the mods' annual jaunt to Stringfellows.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I haven't signed up yet, but will do - Does NSC have a referral code that I can use? Anything which will add to the coffers and support the mods' annual jaunt to Stringfellows.

Uber affiliates only works for the recruitment of new drivers.

It would be a bit hypocritical of me to post my own referral code, so have a quick google - there are plenty of new joining codes that give you £15 in your account when you sign up.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Uber affiliates only works for the recruitment of new drivers.

It would be a bit hypocritical of me to post my own referral code, so have a quick google - there are plenty of new joining codes that give you £15 in your account when you sign up.

Nice one cheers.

Albion my Albion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I had one hell of an Uber driver in Chicago. He picked me up at O'Hare Airport terminal 5 BA. It took almost an hour and a half to get to the Condo off Milwaukee Ave due to heavy traffic on a Thursday at 10:00 p.m. Chicago seems full of traffic congestion at all hours. I didn't even notice how long it was because he kept answering all my questions about Chicago and where everything was located.When we got to the condo I asked if he could take me to a near by market to buy some items so I could stock up the condo. He turned off the Uber app after helping get my baggage into the condo and took me to the market. After shopping for over 20 minutes I thought he would be gone but the driver was still waiting there in his Toyota Camry. He helped me get the market items in his car and then get them into the condo. Then he took me to Wrigleyville and we talked sport the whole way. I did throw him a twenty but I don't think he would have minded not getting paid a tip. After all he had great company. :thumbsup:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I see Southern Taxis have launched an app for customers to use as well, similar to Uber. Uber is huge success story and has promoted advancements in tech to local business as well. Can only be a good thing for the end consumer.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
So how do Taxi drivers make a decent living if everyone is undercutting each other, or are the fares regulated?

Taxi companies have been fleecing the public for years. Driving is basically unskilled labour and can be done by almost anybody, yet they seem to think charging £60 to get from Brighton to Worthing (c.10 miles) is acceptable. Oh you want to stop off somewhere? That will be another tenna.

Up until now they have had the monopoly on Brighton but no more. Long live Uber.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
We've had Uber in Southampton for about 12 months. It's absolutely brilliant, 100% recommend.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can't see the taxi drivers taking this lying down. They kicked up enough of a stink a few years back when somebody tried to introduce a tuk-tuk service in town.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Can't see the taxi drivers taking this lying down. They kicked up enough of a stink a few years back when somebody tried to introduce a tuk-tuk service in town.

They've had years to prepare for this, to be fair, so it's on them. It was only a matter of time before Uber arrived here after it hit London.

They won't be able to fight this off.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

They were heavily against it when Uber were applying for their licence last year, but the council still granted it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here