Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Allardyce to be interviewed for the Wolves job

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Football is morally bankrupt.

I'd like to think our club would never touch him given the same situation. Hope he fails wherever he goes

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nothing happened with England. he got rumbled offering information that may or may not be against the rules, but didnt actually do anything, bit embarrassing for the FA so they binned him off. if it had been a "better" manager i wonder if they had got shot so quick.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Given that the bloke loves cash why wouldn't he hold out for Sunderland or Hull with the incentive of a massive bonus if he keeps either of them up, rather than opt for parachute-paymentless Wolves who look a long way of from being genuine promotion contenders?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There's been a few Sunderland fans calling 606 lately wanting him back. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a majority view of Sunderland fans in general either.

I suspect a lot of football fans are quite willing to look past certain offences if that person brings success to their club. In the case of Allardyce, I've a feeling many may view it as just a bit of dodgy dealing, exposed by 'entrapment', in an industry perceived to be riddled with dodgy dealings.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'd like to think our club would never touch him given the same situation. Hope he fails wherever he goes

Why? What did he actually do wrong?

I don't have any time for the bloke and I'm half way through his autobiography (which is highly amusing in parts given what has gone on of late) so disliking the fella the more I read BUT all he did was point out there are ways and means of bending the rules. Granted given his position and who his employer was he shouldn't have ever been making those comments however I'm sure we all say things off the record that we wouldn't want in the public domain and it's hardly any surprise that the football industry is a bit dodgy given the sums of money flying about.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Anything to keep him out of a TV studio!

It's a shame really, as I read an interview he gave on the importance of investing in youth and in encouraging younger players to explore opportunities in other European leagues. It all sounded sensible.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why? What did he actually do wrong?

I don't have any time for the bloke and I'm half way through his autobiography (which is highly amusing in parts given what has gone on of late) so disliking the fella the more I read BUT all he did was point out there are ways and means of bending the rules. Granted given his position and who his employer was he shouldn't have ever been making those comments however I'm sure we all say things off the record that we wouldn't want in the public domain and it's hardly any surprise that the football industry is a bit dodgy given the sums of money flying about.

This.

God forbid, but if we were Hughton-less and currently in the market for a manager, I certainly wouldn't be pulling my handbag up under my nose or fainting in the aisle at the prospect of Allardyce being brought in. So he got caught talking shop with a couple of journo's, it hardly makes him Jimmy Savile does it. He's a bloody good manager, that's all I'd be bothered about.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The local paper The Express and Star are saying he is NOT in the running for the job but that Wolves will appoint a manager from the UK not abroad.

Logically he is 62 years old and a wealthy man why does he want or need the hassle that comes from the Wolves owners. Better off just biding his time until the right job comes calling sgain.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This.

God forbid, but if we were Hughton-less and currently in the market for a manager, I certainly wouldn't be pulling my handbag up under my nose or fainting in the aisle at the prospect of Allardyce being brought in. So he got caught talking shop with a couple of journo's, it hardly makes him Jimmy Savile does it. He's a bloody good manager, that's all I'd be bothered about.

Veering slightly off at a tangent the recent "Books about football" thread mentioned the Secret Footballer series. In the latest book there is a story about a manager who was painted as extremely unpleasant and I immediately thought "that's Allerdyce". No proof that it was, of course, and the lack of names in those books doesn't help, but if I'm right then team spirit under him wouldn't be a tenth of what it is under Hughton. We're VERY lucky to have him and if/when he goes replacing him won't be easy at all. However, given our experience with Poyet's ego and Sami's yes-man approach I'd hope we got someone else who was all about being in it together. It's always struck me that Allerdyce's clubs have been all about him.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Other than offer advice to a third party on how to circumnavigate the rules that his employer had put in place.

I can't believe I am going to stick up for the man, but that's a slightly disingenuous way of putting it. You are correct, but the job he did for the FA was largely irrelevant to their role in establishing the rules he was talking about. So it's not quite as crooked as that makes it sound.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Veering slightly off at a tangent the recent "Books about football" thread mentioned the Secret Footballer series. In the latest book there is a story about a manager who was painted as extremely unpleasant and I immediately thought "that's Allerdyce". No proof that it was, of course, and the lack of names in those books doesn't help, but if I'm right then team spirit under him wouldn't be a tenth of what it is under Hughton. We're VERY lucky to have him and if/when he goes replacing him won't be easy at all. However, given our experience with Poyet's ego and Sami's yes-man approach I'd hope we got someone else who was all about being in it together. It's always struck me that Allerdyce's clubs have been all about him.

I'd certainly not swap Hughton for Allardyce, but fortunately we are not currently in that position.

IF Hughton had gone though, and we were searching for a manager, I certainly wouldn't rule him out. He might not be a bloke you'd want to share a pint of Merlot with, but he gets teams up, and he keeps teams up. Thats what would be top of my list of requirements. Being in it together is lovely of course, just as long as the end justifies the means.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't believe I am going to stick up for the man, but that's a slightly disingenuous way of putting it. You are correct, but the job he did for the FA was largely irrelevant to their role in establishing the rules he was talking about. So it's not quite as crooked as that makes it sound.

And he didn't actually offer any advice whatsoever on how to do it - just that it could be done. Which everyone knows already anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here