Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When was the last sell out/table topping game at the Amex we actually won ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Criteria: A big top of the table clash, sell out or nearabouts crowd, great anticipation, feels like a season defining match, home at the Amex.
There's been very few. Was Palace the last one ? - even that wasn't technically a top of the table game - more like a top 6 deciding game.

2015/16:
Play Offs - :(
Derby 1-1
Burnley 2-2
Boro 0-3
(Hull was impressive win but it was early on in the season and didn't feel like one of those matches and as nice as it was to thump Leeds and Fulham then they felt rather routine wins at that imperial going on another undefeated run stage )

2014/15
We beat Derby 2-0, and Leeds 2-0 but for obvious reasons no games felt like that in 2014.
2013/14
Play Offs: - :(
We did beat Leicester 3-1 but again that didn't feel like it. We drew 1-1 with Bournemouth,
Perhaps the 2-0 QPR victory meets this criteria . 28K crowd. Evening game. Stuck one to Harry Redknapp. Great goals from Ulloa and Ward.

2012/13
Play Offs :(
St Patricks Day 3-0 !!!

Our record in these games, although there's not many of them, at home at least does seem a bit thin. Was Palace the last time ?

PS: The 2 cup games v Newcastle fit the bill though, and that 3-0 v Southampton in 2011/12.

and of course the first ever league win at the Amex wasn't bad either.

Are we due a big victory at home ?

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
When we beat Hull 1-0 last season wasn't that 1st vs 2nd ?

It was . I guess though as it was so early on in the season then it didn't feel like a "big" game.
Obviously it turned out to be one of our most impressive results of the season and it was also the day of the Shoreham tribute so it felt like a very different game altogether.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I agree. The St Patricks Day Massacre of palace was the last time. Is Holloway's coat dry yet ? ???

As it is St Gaetano Errico's Day on Saturday, it all points towards a 1-0 ( Bong) victory to the albion. Time to go large on it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Soton and Palace the only 2 in the League I can recall.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Southampton at the Amex possibly.. JFC goal a highlight matched by Sparrows drive into the North Stand Goal.. felt like a big game at the time and were we short on defenders for the game (Tarrico played?)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Criteria:
2015/16:
Play Offs - :(
Derby 1-1
Burnley 2-2
Boro 0-3

Are we due a big victory at home ?

Yes. We're due one.. but there were strange circumstances in all of those last season.

Derby was weird, very flat for fans and players included, with everyone lulled into a strange mood that the weekend was the really important match as nothing could be decided until then.

Against Boro, the side was so depleted it would have been a miracle if we'd won, after defying the odds for weeks.

Which leaves Burnley. Would gladly take another performance like that as the team were superb but undone by one of the worst refereeing performances seen at The Amex. Would have been out of sight long before the late dramas if Pawson had dealt with Barton properly.

On the positive side, the last time we had a big atmosphere the team was sensational - seen nothing like that first half hour v Weds in over 35 years watching the club. The aggregate scores meant the, yet again, dodgy opposition goal was a killer, but that wouldn't be the case in a normal game. We have a really strong squad, galvanised by last year's experience, wiser because of moments like the Burnley equaliser and with a ruthless edge provided by Glenn Murray. No reason at all not to go into this optimistic and really get behind them.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I was actually thinking the same thing the other day.

Both Arsenal games, although we lost.

Portsmouth at home, although wasn't a table topping game, it was a derby, and must've been a sell out. I know it's not the sort of game you mean, but it's close.

The Derby game last season had a big crowd, and that almost felt like a win as we scored right at the end.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was actually thinking the same thing the other day.

Both Arsenal games, although we lost.

Portsmouth at home, although wasn't a table topping game, it was a derby, and must've been a sell out. I know it's not the sort of game you mean, but it's close.

The Derby game last season had a big crowd, and that almost felt like a win as we scored right at the end.

Had it been the winner instead of an equaliser we would have been promoted. As Liam Brady said if my granny had balls.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Seemed quite a few empty seats from tv coverage? How many there today:moo:

29,469. If the tv coverage was showing the away end, half of them walked out before the end of the game.

I like St Gaetano's Day, nearly as much as St Patrick's Day. Can we find a St Glenn or St Bruno for next Saturday please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here