Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upgrade A27

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Announced today Public consultation for upgrades to the A27 East of Lewes to Polgate that help fans get to the games Ten minutes earlier.

WATFORD zero

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 10, 2003
What about worthing ? Lyons Farm has queues all day long now. I remember when it was only at rush hours.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Announced where? awful stretch of road for a main artery through the country, they've been talking about this about 30 years so i wouldn't hold out any hope of change in the next few decades.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't hold your breath. Work currently scheduled to start in Spring 2020 - after 10 public consultations and Christ knows how many planning issues have been picked over. So you can probably put that date back another 5 years MINIMUM, once the bat brigade come out with their pitchforks.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's the most beautiful stretch of railway line (The Downs are sheep, the Weald is corn) with such a great rail service to boot, there's no need for an A27 upgrade between Polegate and Lewes......

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What about worthing ? Lyons Farm has queues all day long now. I remember when it was only at rush hours.

There's a meeting at Worthing Pavilion tomorrow night.

Worthing really needs a complete bypass. The obvious route would be to widen Long Furlong so traffic traverses to the North of Findon from Angmering way, but once it reaches the A24, where would it go from there? It would be such a vast project that I really can't see it happening.

I would imagine those who have houses along the A27 in Worthing will now be worried about (yet another) round of compulsory purchases to widen the existing road. Given the history of property along the A27 in Worthing, there's always likely to be a risk that it happens again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
These schemes seem to take SO long, and cause SO much utter carnage during the construction, that I think I'd settle for just sticking with the shit roads we have.

Take the top of the M3. That part of the motorway was always shit in the mornings - you could bank on being stuck for 20 minutes every day. So, in 2012 they decreed they were going to turn it into a SMART motorway. Out came the cones, and reduced speed limits. 15 MILES of them, in both directions, causing delays, at all times. They are still there, for at least another year.

I'd have just stuck with the daily 20 minute hold up, had I known that the choice was FIVE YEARS of disruption. It had better be worth it.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and how many years ago was that?

With the exception of Goring Castle through to Poling, West Lancing to Arundel is an abomination of a road.

All points either side would probably be seen exactly the same way, were it not being raised by the embarrassment of that 10 - 15 mile stretch.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

There's a meeting at Worthing Pavilion tomorrow night.

Worthing really needs a complete bypass. The obvious route would be to widen Long Furlong so traffic traverses to the North of Findon from Angmering way, but once it reaches the A24, where would it go from there? It would be such a vast project that I really can't see it happening.

I would imagine those who have houses along the A27 in Worthing will now be worried about (yet another) round of compulsory purchases to widen the existing road. Given the history of property along the A27 in Worthing, there's always likely to be a risk that it happens again.

Another advocate here for not holding your breath. The first demands for a Worthing bypass were in the 1920's!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Funnily enough I just got an e-mail form the Fair Fuel UK campaign (signed up a while back) asking for suggestions for road upgrades, as some MPs have asked them. This was exactly what I suggested - extend the dual carriageway of the A27 all the way to Dover. The fact that you have to go via the M25 to get there currently is a nonsense.

If anyone's interested in adding their vote to this, the survey is in this link:

https://www.fairfueluk.com/SupportersRoadForm/SupportersRoadForm.html

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Announced where? awful stretch of road for a main artery through the country, they've been talking about this about 30 years so i wouldn't hold out any hope of change in the next few decades.

BBC SouthEast this morning. I think it was £70M been set aside. There are consultations at Selmeston this week, with Polegate, Willingdon etc next week.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It's the most beautiful stretch of railway line (The Downs are sheep, the Weald is corn) with such a great rail service to boot, there's no need for an A27 upgrade between Polegate and Lewes......

Morning Mr Baker. What you up to since the voters had the audacity to sack you ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
BBC SouthEast this morning. I think it was £70M been set aside. There are consultations at Selmeston this week, with Polegate, Willingdon etc next week.

£70million??

Is that to pay for the consultation process?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here