Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Saturday's game potentially season defining?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes I know we can lose and still win the league or win and still end up outside the playoffs BUT I just get the feeling that if we can win most fans will believe that top two is completely attainable and more importantly so will the squad. If we draw or lose it's going to seem like last season all over again and we know what happens then.

Yes OK I am really desperate not to go through the play offs again. A four point cushion over Norwich would be a great starting point to get auto although there wil be loads of twists and turns and other teams to contend with

I really believe we need to beat the other promotion contenders at home.

Anyway how will YOU feel about a win/defeat/draw?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes I know we can lose and still win the league or win and still end up outside the playoffs BUT I just get the feeling that if we can win most fans will believe that top two is completely attainable and more importantly so will the squad. If we draw or lose it's going to seem like last season all over again and we know what happens then.

Yes OK I am really desperate not to go through the play offs again. A four point cushion over Norwich would be a great starting point to get auto although there wil be loads of twists and turns and other teams to contend with

Hard to argue with any of that. While it is too early for true six pointers, it is a massive game. Realistically we all know Newcastle will almost certainly win the league. So, on that basis, we and Norwich are two very strong contenders for second and a win on Saturday for either team will be huge for confidence as well as gaining three points on a rival.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

The result matters a lot in terms of points total come the end of the season but win or lose, any deficit or excess in points could still be overturned by the loser because lots can change in terms of injuries, suspensions, upturns or downturns in form and changes to personnel in January.

The one thing that I think matters most is what attitude the players take the field with. If they set about Norwich like they believe that they are the better team than them then come the end of the season they will be above them come May.

If they set about Norwich cautiously like they believe they are underdogs then things will need to change in terms of attitude if they want to be above them come May

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think more so for them than us. If we win it's still only 4pts but as others have said it will start to look as though they are not as good as they and most people thought. Although they are right up there it's easy looking at their results to suggest they ain't that great. Course they win and immediately that looks different...

It's not decisive by any means but it could prove to a real pointer to both sides chances.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's too early in the season for it to be defining. I want to win for Chris Hughton and the joy it will give him after his Norwich disappointment. Looking forward to seeing the great traditional colours of both teams, although still haven't forgotten that 2-1 defeat at Withdean when it was a League One fixture. Grant Holt being a c**t and winding up the main stand.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Win = I will feel very happy for a few days! be nice to the wife and possibly be over indulge in alcohol on Saturday night.
Draw = I will feel meh and possibly slightly grumpy Saturday night.
Defeat = I will be pissed off slightly and resign myself to the likelihood of the play offs at the end of the season.

In short like every game, it can still swing back and forth way to early.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Only if/when the 'Hughton Out' threads start.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Our past record against other promotion contenders isnt good so lets hope it all goes well Saturday and then we continue on from there.

We need to be taking points off any of the teams in the top six this season, as this will definitely help the points tally, and give us something that we defintely lacked last season.
At least we've beaten one side in the top six this season (Huddersfield) so far. Beating Norwich would be a great result in the context of the whole season :) UTA!!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It could be last seasons Middlesbrough home game in terms of importance (we all know what happened there, it wasn't pretty), but the importance of the result won't be known until the run in. So not knowing the future it's just another game that we hopefully win or at least not lose.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
No.

There's enough pressure on the players - from themselves, the management, and the fans expectations, without dubbing it 'season defining' as well.
It's important to stay strong at home, keep our unbeaten run going and to take points off a rival, but Saturday won't dictate where we finish.

Otherwise, you might argue Norwich's defeat to Preston on Saturday might be seen as 'season defining' in retrospect. Any game could be - with hindsight - if you choose to call it that.

But three points would be mightly pleasing :banana: :banana:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Win = I will feel very happy for a few days! be nice to the wife and possibly be over indulge in alcohol on Saturday night.
Draw = I will feel meh and possibly slightly grumpy and over indulge in alcohol on Saturday night.
Defeat = I will be pissed off slightly and resign myself to the likelihood of the play offs at the end of the season and over indulge in alcohol on Saturday night.

Possibly corrected for you?
:)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
We need to be taking points off any of the teams in the top six this season, as this will definitely help the points tally, and give us something that we defintely lacked last season.
At least we've beaten one side in the top six this season (Huddersfield) so far. Beating Norwich would be a great result in the context of the whole season :) UTA!!

Two, Sheffield Wednesday.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would be very happy if we get 4 points from Norwich (H) and Bristol City (A) so we can go into the international break on a high.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
To Houghtons credit we attack teams from start. I feel we should be more cautious against Norwich in first half as they have ability to catch us on break like Middlesborough did. Draw will not be bad result

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
To Houghtons credit we attack teams from start. I feel we should be more cautious against Norwich in first half as they have ability to catch us on break like Middlesborough did. Draw will not be bad result
We had a weak team out against Boro at home last season Norwich have a leaky defence away from home a draw would feel like a loss. 2-0 win.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If we get to the last few fixtures this season, I hope we are either nailed on, ideally for first or second, or we are definitely in the top six , but with no chance of getting second.
The three play-off campaigns of the Alex era, I feel, we have been the club under most pressure, leading up to, or during the semi finals, the first season, finishing fourth and getting Palace and all the shenanigans hat went on, Oscars season, we only qualified in the last minute, and were crippled by injuries, especially to our first choice back four, and last season the team gave every thing to go up automatically, then we're thwarted in the last game by Mike Dean. We all know what happened next,so, I'm hoping, if we aren't first or second we get in the playoffs with at least two games to go, but with not even an outside chance of automatic promotion so the playoff build up can be properly managed, players rested , injuries given time to mend etc

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here