Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Uber Fan poll

Di you see Albion play at the Priestfield?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did you see Albion play at the Priestfield?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes but (spot the flaw in the poll.....) when we played them away and home was Withdean

I think even that is acceptable tbh, but you are right, but with the typo in the poll as well it is indeed flawed

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I think even that is acceptable tbh, but you are right, but with the typo in the poll as well it is indeed flawed

Looking back it feels odd that I never went to a 'home' game at Gillingham having been a dedicated fan at the Goldstone right to the end. It wasn't just because of the distance but as much a case of completely losing any connection with the albion. Genuinely admire those that kept going (though I am sure there are far more that claim to have done than actually did!)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The odds are that most fans who went to Priestfield probably either saw Brighton in the FA Cup Final, the old Division 1 or the 91 Play Off Final. They probably also saw us get promoted in '02 and again at Cardiff in '04 so they at least saw a bit of glory. @hans kraay fan club [MENTION=11670]Hove Seagull[/MENTION] and I started taking our kids along to watch the Albion just after we got relegated under McGhee and so for the first 5 or 6 years of them supporting the Albion was sitting in the Family Stand at Withdean watching terrible football week in and week out and having to put up with the teasing from their Premier League supporting friends at school boasting all the time.

I reckon any child that went more than a few times to see us at Withdean and called themselves a Brighton fan during that time has earned the right to call themselves an Uber fan.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes, once. I paid 2 quid to get in. It finished 4-4, so I'd say that's quite good value for money.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, but as others said, only when it was away. All the years we played home up there, I lived up north and it was much easier, and a better experience going to the likes of Halifax or Bury etc.

I was a ST holder for the last couple of years, mainly because it would guarantee me a seat at the first game back in Brighton, whenever or wherever that might be.

Not sure I saw us play though. 11 blokes in blue and white shirts turned up and kicked a ball arounf for 90 minutes but I'm not sure "playing" was the right word

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes, once. I paid 2 quid to get in. It finished 4-4, so I'd say that's quite good value for money.

Was it the boxing day match against the mighty Colchester ?

I vaguely remember we had a great comeback in that game.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Was it the boxing day match against the mighty Colchester ?

I vaguely remember we had a great comeback in that game.

That's the one.

3-0 down at half time
Pulled it back to 3-3
Went behind again
Jeff Minton penalty made it 4-4
:thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, season ticket holder as were all the family....and we enjoyed it !! (sorry). We were living
in Surrey so travel wasn't difficult. I look back nostalgically on a period that was my kids' formative years as regulars. Gary Hart was their idol and I remember one match when he picked up the ball near the halfway line and ran through on goal while I mentally pleaded for him to tuck it away for my kids. He duly obliged and they had an Albion memory. They used to fall asleep during evening games (probably a good call actually) and one evening we were the first in the ground. They even learnt to ski in Gillingham at the dry slope, pre match.
I can fully appreciate that I am in a very small minority who feels this way !

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes but (spot the flaw in the poll.....) when we played them away and home was Withdean

I wonder if we took as many fans to the "away" games once we were back in Withdean as we did to the "home" games when we played there. I vaguely recall our lowest league crowd being about 1300 on a nasty midweek winter's evening when there was European football, which I think is pretty damned impressive given where we were in the league.

I remember some Radio 5 commentator on the way back from the game after announcing the crowd figure who then said. "To any Brighton fans who went to Gillingham tonight I have a question for you....Why?" Still rankles when I think about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here