Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8% of football fans would not watch their team with a gay player

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The beauty of it, is that all football fans have probably already done so!
We at Albion certainly have!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Pathetic really.

Ok to watch players that have killed others but not ok to watch someone that has a same sex relationship.

Some real backward people in this country sadly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If he can score goals for fun or defend for his life does his sexual preference matter? I dont think it does and after the initial ' coming out' nobody would care. Did it stop people supporting Martina Navratilova?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Personally I couldn't care less about a players sexuality. As long as they are a good footballer and their private life doesn't affect their performance on the pitch. Sexuality should not define a person, neither should it preclude someone from doing a job that they have great ability in.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Quite frankly I wouldn't care if the attendance across the country dropped 8%, and nor should the clubs, these are not the kind people you want sitting next to you on an enjoyable Saturday afternoon!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Interesting that you didn't stop at the following

Sexuality should not define a person, neither should it preclude someone from doing a job

but needed to put a caveat onto your statement.

Logically therefore if they don't have great ability you have an issue with their sexuality.

:whistle:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
8% of football fans would not watch their team with a gay player

I don't know any gay players to go to the football with.

If I did, and they wanted to join me, I wouldn't mind, so long as they sat on their hands if they were a fan of the opposition. If they were planning to wear opposition colours in the wrong end, they could do one. :)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Why does anyone care where another man sticks his tackle.

If the 8% don't like the thought of throwing it inside another man, simply don't do it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We don't have a 'right' to know someone's sexuality, in the same way, we don't have a right to know how many children a player may have. It's their business and none of ours.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'd imagine the 8% are of the variety of 'They'd run off the pitch and try and bum me'

I'm not surprised these attitudes exist but I'm surprised it's as high as 8%

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is some hope for us fans.
I much prefer this result:-

More sports fans (12%) would feel uncomfortable with a rival player joining their club than a gay player (8%)

:lol:

Although what if that player happened to also be gay?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Disgraceful attitude to have of fellow human beings. Further into the survey it claims that 20% of fans would not be 'comfortable' with a gay player at their club and they should 'keep it to themselves' :nono:

Apart from the homophobes in the crowd, I would imagine an openly gay player would have to put up with sly intimidation from 'some' opposing players and maybe within their own club too.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
In which case the 8% can go elsewhere and play with themselves, and nobody will miss them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here