Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heathrow expansion

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Glad it didn't happen to Gatwick. That's just the right size for decent flights, nice shops, pubs, food, without walking miles around and complications trying to find your gate.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Gatwick is still the better option, it would bring lots of jobs to the are and not cause anywhere near the pollution that it's going to create at Heathrow.

Although happy with this as if it was to be Gatwick i'd have to get rid of a bit of pub quiz general knowledge I've picked up. Gatwick is the biggest single runway airport in the world.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Glad it didn't happen to Gatwick. That's just the right size for decent flights, nice shops, pubs, food, without walking miles around and complications trying to find your gate.

...but not enough flight destinations available, especially to Europe.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Guess who? 20/05/2010

"Like many local residents I strongly welcome the cancellation of the third runway at Heathrow"

Like many 'local residents' when they don't have the weight of responsibility to make the best decision for the country as a whole?

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Would have much preferred Gatwick, always have done. Why not share the jobs / investment / custom around, and spread out the traffic both in people and aircraft. Heathrow is already a mess, why make it even more complicated.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wouldn't be surprised if SASTA's shenanigans scuppered Gatwick's chances at the last moment. Without a fit-for-purpose public transport link, you're a bit snookered really.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...but not enough flight destinations available, especially to Europe.

which could change with expansion.

disappointing they haven't gone for the option to allow both Heathrow and Gatwick, or even allowing midlands airports to expand too. Gatwick can start earlier (not so much objections to fight through) and is 100% private money too iirc. from our point of view in Sussex, Gatwick expansion would be great for jobs and also improve the London-Gatwick stretch of BML which seems to be were most the problems come from.

as it is, Heathrow go ahead means nothing happens but public inquiries and legal challenges for a few years, no actual work this side of a GE probably.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Gatwick is still the better option, it would bring lots of jobs to the are and not cause anywhere near the pollution that it's going to create at Heathrow.

Although happy with this as if it was to be Gatwick i'd have to get rid of a bit of pub quiz general knowledge I've picked up. Gatwick is the biggest single runway airport in the world.

That's actually incorrect, Gatwick is the busiest, not the biggest! The biggest is in China! Qamdo Bamda is the longest paved runway!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
That's actually incorrect, Gatwick is the busiest, not the biggest! The biggest is in China! Qamdo Bamda is the longest paved runway!

I don't think [MENTION=34253]Whoislloydy[/MENTION] was referring to the length of the runway. Mind you I don't think he was referring to the area either. I guess he is talking about the numbers passing through the airport.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

(Ex-RAF) Manston Airport in Kent would have been an imaginative alternative. Very long runway, loads of undeveloped space, huge number of potential new and local jobs. Might also have seen off the chancers who want to develop the airport for non-airport use and a quick buck.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
(Ex-RAF) Manston Airport in Kent would have been an imaginative alternative. Very long runway, loads of undeveloped space, huge number of potential new and local jobs. Might also have seen off the chancers who want to develop the airport for non-airport use and a quick buck.

And an airport nobody would want to travel from

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

A bit more knowledge to add: Gatwick actually has TWO runways!! But for operational reasons the second runway can only be used when the main runway is out of use. At other times it is used as a taxi way to the main runway.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
which could change with expansion.

disappointing they haven't gone for the option to allow both Heathrow and Gatwick, or even allowing midlands airports to expand too. Gatwick can start earlier (not so much objections to fight through) and is 100% private money too iirc. from our point of view in Sussex, Gatwick expansion would be great for jobs and also improve the London-Gatwick stretch of BML which seems to be were most the problems come from.

as it is, Heathrow go ahead means nothing happens but public inquiries and legal challenges for a few years, no actual work this side of a GE probably.

Totally agree, can you imagine trying to get to an expanded Heathrow anyway around the M25, that stretch is dreadful every day of the week, whatever time of the day. Only going to get worse now

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

It's MILES from ANYWHERE too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here