Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thieving tradesman

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Had a couple of guys round for last few weeks plastering and painting bedrooms. They did a pretty crap job of it and were really unreliable. I reluctantly paid them for the work done and they were due back to do some additional work. The haven't turned up again but luckily I've found someone else to do the final jobs, so was planning to just out down to experience and not use them again.

Have just discovered the *******'s have stolen my 1 years old money box which I had hidden in a clothes drawer. Can't get hold of them by phone, and police say (understandably) there is nothing they can do without proof?

Any suggestions? I have hired them previously from the mybuilder site and they were OK, but went direct this time so can't give feedback etc

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Without meaning to be a total arse - Are you 100% confident that they have taken it? It would appear a pretty weird thing to take and not take anything else. Had similar with my letting agent a few years back and turned out the wife had moved it and completely forgotten

Also - why hire them a second time if they were only OK the first? Seems a bit odd that they would turn from OK to useless and thieves in the time between the two jobs

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Without meaning to be a total arse - Are you 100% confident that they have taken it? It would appear a pretty weird thing to take and not take anything else. Had similar with my letting agent a few years back and turned out the wife had moved it and completely forgotten

Also - why hire them a second time if they were only OK the first? Seems a bit odd that they would turn from OK to useless and thieves in the time between the two jobs

No offence taken! I'm sure it's gone as I definitely put it there to take it out of temptation - you could see notes in they box.c

Ok was an understatement. I was really happy with work before. It was 4 years ago tho. Main reason I hired was they could do the whole job. Plastering, plumbing and carpentry, so much easier than coordinating different trades.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
No offence taken! I'm sure it's gone as I definitely put it there to take it out of temptation - you could see notes in they box.c

Ok was an understatement. I was really happy with work before. It was 4 years ago tho. Main reason I hired was they could do the whole job. Plastering, plumbing and carpentry, so much easier than coordinating different trades.

In that case they are total *******s. I would hope that they get caught out or having a change of heart and bring it back.

Takes a certain type of low life to steal a kids money box. Hope it works out as best it can

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There is a whiff of an Ernest thread brewing out of this, Tristram anyone

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Not for the tea leafing, the shoddy, unreliable work. No harm in naming bad tradesmen.

Yes but its one persons opinion. If they are on checkatrade or similar a review can be posted, that way the builders have a chance to comment as well.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

There is the answer to the shoddy work, Jack of all trades types rather than professional tradesmen.
Plumbers are not plasterers and so on.

Someone I worked for recently had their bathroom tiled by 2 lads, the job was horrible and looked like it had been done in the dark, I asked the customer who did it, he said the 2 lads were carpenters that did a great job of fitting some doors.
The customer asked them if they knew any wall tilers, and they said they could tile, it also took them 5 days to ' tile' a small bathroom.

Not good news if these bodgers have stolen your child's money box though, or stealing anything from a customer in fact.

el punal

On a slightly different tack - when we played Southampton in the League Cup, on that awful day of September 11th 2001, I got chatting to three Saints fans in the Black Lion before the game.

They were builders, and were intending on staying the night in Brighton before going on to a job in Kent. So far, so good. Two of the lads seem perfectly ok and I was having a decent conversation with them. The third bloke was the gopher amongst them, to carry out the menial tasks it seemed. He, apparently, had brought his thirteen year old nephew with him to the football. Knowing I was from Southampton he cheekily asked whether I could take the nephew home so he could go out on the town. The other two were shocked and basically said he was bang out of order.

It seems that this cretin had no shame, and then proceeded to tell me how many charity collection tins he had nicked over the last few years. Needless to say the conversation ended there and then. I just blanked him, walked off, and left this odious turd to try and justify to his mates whether it was just a wind up or that he really was the scum of the earth.

His nephew never did get that lift back to Southampton . . . I wonder why?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
There is the answer to the shoddy work, Jack of all trades types rather than professional tradesmen.

Someone I worked for recently had their bathroom tiled by 2 lads, the job was horrible and looked like it had been done in the dark, I asked the customer who did it, he said the 2 lads were carpenters that did a great job of fitting some doors.
The customer asked them if they knew any wall tilers, and they said they could tile, it also took them 5 days to ' tile' a small bathroom.

Not good news if these bodgers have stolen your child's money box though, or stealing anything from a customer in fact.

When we tile a bathroom it takes longer than all the plumbing.
Thinking of changing my job description:rolleyes:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Hey I have you know some of us plumbers are very good tilers too you know![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hey I have you know some of us plumbers are very good tilers too you know![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I used to work for someone who was better at tiling than plumbing, I used to do some tiling as he taught me but I hate doing it.
Wall tiling isn't one of the subjects taught on the City & Guilds plumbing course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here