Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Jennings

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Great player and rock of a central defender. Hope his death is recognised at the Amex on Saturday.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Sounds like a club legend. Bit before my time. Would appreciate some extra information about Roy Jennings.

Played nearly 300 times for the Albion signed from Swindon (some family still there) club captain, played England youth. Played against Fulham Boxing Day 36,000 attendance and a club favourite.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IIRC although a CB i think that he played some games at left back and in the back of my mind is him playing at least 1 game at centre forward but I am not certain.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think he lived in one of the club houses on the north side of Old Shoreham Rd, Southwick just before Kingston Lane. Met him numerous times. As others have said-no nonsense defender. R.I.P. Roy.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
He was the first Albion player that I ever saw sent off. It was rare in those days. Away to Gillingham. Naive as I was, I thought the refereee had made a mistake and would call him back as he made his long walk to the stand.
Then there was the first time that he was dropped - for a young Norman Gall. No keeping your cards close to your chest in those days, as the team was announced in the Argus the day before. It was headlines on the back page.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
https://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/06/28/roy-jennings-the-sole-survivor-in-1961/

Have childhood memories of reading about a half back line of Bertolini, Jennings and Burtenshaw - anyone confirm?

Thanks to you and Top Banana for the info.

This quote regarding the second tier seems familiar: 'The Second Division is the toughest one from which to gain promotion. Each season there seem to be about four top-class sides challenging, with the rest cutting each other’s throats week by week'.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I think he lived in one of the club houses on the north side of Old Shoreham Rd, Southwick just before Kingston Lane. Met him numerous times. As others have said-no nonsense defender. R.I.P. Roy.

There were about 4 or 5 club houses there Bwian. I remember John Templeman and Eddie Spearritt living there as my mate lived opposite.

RIP Roy. A real Albion legend.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think that was the line up when we played Fulham on Boxing Day and completely blotted out Johnny Haynes Bedford Jezzard and Tosh Chamberlain.
..........and also possibly in the 3-3 draw with League Champions Burnley in the cup? Bertolini's 35 yard screamer...........and all he got was a bollocking from Billy Lane for a bad tackle he made!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dont think it was Bertolini scored 35 yder. Not sure of name but think it was full back

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
A real shame, never saw him play, but as recently as 3 to 4 years ago he was selling fleet cars to my company, I had many a great chat to him about his days at the Albion which he always spoke so fondly off. A real gent. RIP Roy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dont think it was Bertolini scored 35 yder. Not sure of name but think it was full back

Bl**dy hell, you're right. Just looked it up - it was the full back, McNichol (Jimmy?) - he got the rollocking for the bad tackle too. Oh well, that's my memory of over fifty years ago shattered in an instant!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here