Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton and Norwich

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
All the bookies put us and Norwich in a fight for second place. They have far superior spending power and experience of going straight back up.

Next Saturday will be particularly interesting for CH. Norwich sacked him - in many people's opinion unfairly - in 2014 with 5 games of the premiership season to go, when they were 5 points clear of relegation. They then ended up being relegated by 3 points. The Norwich fans were particularly critical of CH - accusing him of negative tactics.

Will all of this play in our favour? It's certainly a critically important game, where a win would make a big difference. However, we don't have a great record in the big games....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Hughton wont even think about it I doubt.

Same as when we beat Sheff Wed , history had no part to play.

Saturday is huge. 4 points ahead of them would be a great platform to really push on.

Would take a point though

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
To be fair there were as many norwich fans in support of Hughton as there were bedwetters , i'm for one happy those wetters won and thought he was gash , i don't think we have had a more astute manager at the helm since i started blowing my pocket money on watching Brighton and hove Albion play 42 years ago .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's just another match to be won but I'm sure the irony of battling with Norwich & Newcastle to go up isn't lost on him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Didn't seem to make much of a difference when Norwich last played here. Hughton was Brighton manager then too.

The only difference being Brighton and Norwich fans formed a conga train in the ESL after the game.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
If we win on Saturday then I think a few of us might start to believe again, that promotion is definitely on the cards this season. Certainly would be a massive boost for morale, which must already be quite high following an impressive run of results.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Didn't seem to make much of a difference when Norwich last played here. Hughton was Brighton manager then too.

The only difference being Brighton and Norwich fans formed a conga train in the ESL after the game.

Very true although a fair number were keen to tell me we should get rid of him...I'd particularly like to stick that bit back at them

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To be fair there were as many norwich fans in support of Hughton as there were bedwetters , i'm for one happy those wetters won and thought he was gash , i don't think we have had a more astute manager at the helm since i started blowing my pocket money on watching Brighton and hove Albion play 42 years ago .

Not sure about that. I work with a Norwich supporter and he seems to think he's almost universally hated.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's weird how all Norwich fans seem to hate him, yet other clubs he's managed like Toon & Brum all seem to live him... Of course 99% of BHA fans with a brain rate him too. I appreciate different players & managers excel at certain clubs but it seems to me many Norwich fans used CH as a scapegoat to a degree - to cover up their own clubs' shambolic decision making. Smacks of football fan blinkedness to me - same with our lot who suddenly slate Poyet and his abilities once he's gone when infact, he started a revolution for the club & was a fantastic manager for the Albion.

el punal

All the bookies put us and Norwich in a fight for second place. They have far superior spending power and experience of going straight back up.

Next Saturday will be particularly interesting for CH. Norwich sacked him - in many people's opinion unfairly - in 2014 with 5 games of the premiership season to go, when they were 5 points clear of relegation. They then ended up being relegated by 3 points. The Norwich fans were particularly critical of CH - accusing him of negative tactics.

Will all of this play in our favour? It's certainly a critically important game, where a win would make a big difference. However, we don't have a great record in the big games....

Sorry, but what are the big games? Last season, against the three promoted sides we only lost to Middlesbrough. This season we have beaten Huddersfield, who were then top, Barnsley who were second or third, Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough, where we've never won. I suppose you could call Newcastle, away, a big game, and the only one of two that we've lost in fourteen matches. So not such bad going overall.

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
Sorry, but what are the big games? Last season, against the three promoted sides we only lost to Middlesbrough. This season we have beaten Huddersfield, who were then top, Barnsley who were second or third, Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough, where we've never won. I suppose you could call Newcastle, away, a big game, and the only one of two that we've lost in fourteen matches. So not such bad going overall.

Middlesborough, Burnley and Derby at home , failed to win any of these . Be great if we can win sat

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Hughton won't show it but he he does have a point to prove with Norwich. No doubt a win will give him an extra satisfaction and he will certainly be extra disappointed if we lose. This game is perfectly poised on several levels.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hughton won't show it but he he does have a point to prove with Norwich. No doubt a win will give him an extra satisfaction and he will certainly be extra disappointed if we lose. This game is perfectly poised on several levels.

I don't think he will go into it any differently from any other game. He will do his diligent assessment of them like he does on any other club, So leading up to it, I don't think it will make any difference to him personally. The plus point he will have will be that he knows and will be able to identify strengths and weaknesses of players he has already worked with

I am sure however he will however get a lot more satisfaction if he is shaking hands with the Norwich Hierarchy after the match, if he had just picked up 3 points but to him the 3 points he is after is just another 3 en route to the Premier League hopefully

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Middlesborough, Burnley and Derby at home , failed to win any of these . Be great if we can win sat

We beat Hull though didn't we.
In previous seasons we've also beaten Palace, Southampton, QPR, Leicester etc in seasons when they've been promoted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lets hope that we set our stall in the normal manner and go about the job of getting 3 points from our promotion rivals and then continue it against the rest when we play them.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think he will go into it any differently from any other game. He will do his diligent assessment of them like he does on any other club, So leading up to it, I don't think it will make any difference to him personally. The plus point he will have will be that he knows and will be able to identify strengths and weaknesses of players he has already worked with

I am sure however he will however get a lot more satisfaction if he is shaking hands with the Norwich Hierarchy after the match, if he had just picked up 3 points but to him the 3 points he is after is just another 3 en route to the Premier League hopefully

Yep, I agree, he will only approach it the Hughton way. If we win he will be poker faced but he might have an extra glass of wine with his wife later.

3 points would be great but I will be extra pleased to scalp the club that rejected him. Managers facing ex clubs adds an interesting flavour to a game even if it is not significant in the long run.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yep, I agree, he will only approach it the Hughton way. If we win he will be poker faced but he might have an extra glass of wine with his wife later.3 points would be great but I will be extra pleased to scalp the club that rejected him. Managers facing ex clubs adds an interesting flavour to a game even if it is not significant in the long run.

I agree and I think we will win this weekend, although his record when he plays against former clubs isn't good. I think only Birmingham he would be in front in head to heads with former clubs to date

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here