Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The UK watershed

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So we know that the watershed in the UK is 9 PM , I'm not sure on all of the Mary Whitehouse rules but I'm sure getting somebody's head cracked open and an eyeball popped out, should be after the 9 PM cut-off. So onto the walking dead premiere tonight. Yes I do know who died! I am in the US and watched the opening premiere of season seven. I was shocked that this was on 9 PM Eastern and 8 PM Central. There was some truly horrific violence in the show, all of which we have come to expect. However, I do not believe that showing this at 8 PM in central America is the right thing to do considering it's graphic nature and downright blatant gruesome death's that are shown during the 44 minute long episode. I notice in the UK that it is shown after 10 PM, something which I think is fully justified, if not they should be actually show it even later! But to think that in the USA in central time of 8 PM this episode was shown on AMC only with a disclaimer at the beginning of each segment, I do believe that we are heading down a slippery slope. I can't believe I'm saying this! But I really think that the US should somehow block this type of viewing to a very late night audience. I can't believe that anybody thinks that this type of thing should be shown pre-9 PM. The problem is instead of going towards the more conservative nature of showing TV shows, we will most likely follow towards the American style of more violent shows being shown at a more earlier time and I do fear that our kids will end up seeing this stuff as it's on in the background. Just flipping channels and they just catch an awful moment of one of the shows. I actually am a big fan of the walking dead, and Z Nation, And I believe both of them should be shown when after 10PM. And not just for the (smashing up zombies) but more for the human killings. Is it just me? Am I just getting too old? or did that awful Mary Whitehouse have a point?

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a us thing ,show violence and guns but hevean forbid if you saw a nipple!
I'm one of the few still watching Aquarius.

Each episode begins with arty flash forwards to the night of all the murders
Shot in black and white with the only colour being blood red.
Bloodied bodies everywhere, a heavily pregnant Sharon Tate's being one of them, all pretty horrific stuff.

Meanwhile our hero David Duchovny is finding light relief in the arms Olivia Taylor Dudley, both in bed almost fully clothed.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
So we know that the watershed in the UK is 9 PM , I'm not sure on all of the Mary Whitehouse rules but I'm sure getting somebody's head cracked open and an eyeball popped out, should be after the 9 PM cut-off.

The UK watershed was always a 'soft' one - in other words, it's never been a definitive cut off, more of a guideline. So bad language at 8.45pm would be deemed OK if it wasn't too harsh.

On-demand services have made watershed somewhat obsolete, however - they tend to be monitored far less strictly than they were as a result.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I believe the US shows rating for their TV shows, like films. That gives more of a guideline for parents etc... than just time.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The UK watershed was always a 'soft' one - in other words, it's never been a definitive cut off, more of a guideline. So bad language at 8.45pm would be deemed OK if it wasn't too harsh.

On-demand services have made watershed somewhat obsolete, however - they tend to be monitored far less strictly than they were as a result.

Very good point re: On demand. I know that there is limited that they can do but I always find it amusing with the pop up - This programme contains bad language, please confirm you are over 15. Has anyone EVER decided that it wasn't for them at that stage? Same with the iPlayer, I can;t see many people randomly click - 'No I do not have a TV license'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Used to seem odd to me that round about the same time of day that UK kids would be watching Blue Peter, Spanish telly would be showing live bullfights.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Boobs everyone likes them and no one dies
Guns violent and kill people
Maybe show more boobs on TV and less guns then we might not be desensitised towards violence and have no need for it because we're all happy seeing boobs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here