Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

childrens football teams

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Soccer tots is a group you could take him too locally I think, but you don't get teams or games until u8s If memory serves me

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can he play up front, just off the main striker (or left back)?

Jul 7, 2003
my son wants to find a team for his 3 year old son in Mid Sussex to learn to play any suggestions.

Most teams don't take kids until they start school (under 6's). There are some special groups around such as Soccer Tots mentioned by [MENTION=206]Marshy[/MENTION] but not many take them that young. Always worth checking with Sussex FA Development unit to see what is available in your area.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When I had a pub in West Molesey one of our customers had a son who was at Fulham and hadnt even started school so there must be opportunities to learn at a very young age.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My club doesn't take kids until they're 5. We run weekly coaching / starting sessions for 5,6,7s.
We sometimes fix up friendlies for the older ones.

But leagues don't tend to allow teams (5 a side for this age group) until they are u8s (ie: 7 and 8). We've a u8 team , u9s and so on.

But i think in Brighton there are several regular coaching sessions for even younger groups.
Little kickers is a brand that oversees a few coaching sessions for u5s. It looks like there's a saturday morning session for 3-5s in Patcham for instance.
https://www.littlekickers.co.uk/

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Far too young surely, just take him to a park and kick a ball around. I would have thought it needs to be the grandchilds decision not his fathers, as sport needs to be something that the boy wants to do and have fun with, yes encourage him to try sports out, but not to dictate at such a young age.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
my son wants to find a team for his 3 year old son in Mid Sussex to learn to play any suggestions.

Far, far too young.

Let kids enjoy football, play in the garden etc.

I know some teams take kids at 5 but personally I wouldn't take kids until at least 6, and even then the emphasis should and must be on having fun.

Too many kids have the fun coached out of them at too young an age IMO.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
One of my sons goes to football training on a Saturday morning, there is a group there of very young children I'm guessing 3-5 years old. When I passed them last week one of the young lads was training in a Spider-Man outfit :lolol:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
My club doesn't take kids until they're 5. We run weekly coaching / starting sessions for 5,6,7s.
We sometimes fix up friendlies for the older ones.

But leagues don't tend to allow teams (5 a side for this age group) until they are u8s (ie: 7 and 8). We've a u8 team , u9s and so on.

But i think in Brighton there are several regular coaching sessions for even younger groups.
Little kickers is a brand that oversees a few coaching sessions for u5s. It looks like there's a saturday morning session for 3-5s in Patcham for instance.
https://www.littlekickers.co.uk/

I take it you're with Chailey? My sons under 9 team have your lot next weekend. Love the away trip up there. Bacon roll for brunch, then off to the coach and horses for lunch :drink:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Far, far too young.

I know some teams take kids at 5 but personally I wouldn't take kids until at least 6, and even then the emphasis should and must be on having fun.

100% this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Far, far too young.

Really? How many kids do you know even at 6, are having actual coaching? Pretty certain you will find most clubs that do provide something for that age group are do things along the lines of a bit of ball control and kicking and a few relay races and the like. All a bit of fun

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Really? How many kids do you know even at 6, are having actual coaching? Pretty certain you will find most clubs that do provide something for that age group are do things along the lines of a bit of ball control and kicking and a few relay races and the like. All a bit of fun
You'd be surprised...nothing quite beats the heart-sinking moment when you hear some deluded father screaming "shape" at a bunch of five year olds.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I take it you're with Chailey? My sons under 9 team have your lot next weekend. Love the away trip up there. Bacon roll for brunch, then off to the coach and horses for lunch :drink:

Yep. Ta. Manage the u14s and help out with the 5-7s. My lad runs the cafe, Mrs CJ makes the bacon rolls !

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Far, far too young.

I work on sessions for 5 and 6 and some 7 year olds at our club. I don't know if its fun but its designed to be.
There's hopefully some pointers about to kick a ball straight, dribble and shoot and the boys/girls get to touch the ball a lot, but its mostly getting fit and playing silly games (with a bit of learning) for an hour.
The only objective really is to ensure they come again next week.
Like i said earlier you can't even, and rightly, play league games until u8s and then they're only 5 a side on tiny pitches with tiny goals.

That said there's not a lot we can do about the annual poor weather, we'd love a 3G pitch and we rely heavily on the goodwill, time and skills of volunteers.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Both my sons went to little kickers which is very good. The learn with a small ball and little things like using different parts of their feet, and some fun games. It's not serious and the dads and mums join in too until they're a bit older. Prior to that my eldest went to soccer tots up til he was 3 and again it was things like a balloon ball, having a dome to learn about parts of the foot (the dome slides and doesn't run away like a ball so it's easier) and skittles games etc.

Don't think of it as coaching but do think of it as having fun with your son or daughter and learning games you can play at home or in the park.

I coach an u8 team and help with an U10 team. Both of which are immensely rewarding but you have to be able to take the frustrations too. They are just kids, not robots and you realise they won't do things the same every week so that isn't the frustrating part. The frustrations are where parents see it as a bit of childcare and their little darling doesn't want to participate as much as his parents think he will.

The rewards are when you see a child who gains confidence and tries things out which work. Maybe a turn or a little flick or maybe just confident to play a pass or have a shot.

Got to love parents though. Had one child came along for a session last year and after wards his dad said he wasn't going to join us as he was too good for our team and he had to think about his sons own progression. He was 6 at the time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here