Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the 2 defeats a good thing

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just wonder if compared to last seasons long unbeaten run that the 2 defeats to Newcastle and Brentford will turn out to be a good thing.
I say this because there was a sense that into November and December that we were looking to preserve the run rather win the game.
With that gone for this season maybe we will be better off and win more games than last season

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Defeats are never good. Wins are good. Big wins. By lots of goals.

Draws aren't good enough either.

The tripe about win at home and draw away is rubbish, especially when you lose.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Defeats are never good. Wins are good. Big wins. By lots of goals.

Draws aren't good enough either.

The tripe about win at home and draw away is rubbish, especially when you lose.

Draws are good enough against a team that is expected to beat you - when Newcastle come to us, everyone will want us to win, of course, but to not lose might be a good point well earned?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Draws are good enough against a team that is expected to beat you - when Newcastle come to us, everyone will want us to win, of course, but to not lose might be a good point well earned?

Assuming our form is still there come the Newcastle game I would fully hope for three points. One would be disappointing.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Defeats are never good, but I can see where the OP is coming from. When the run got up into the mid-to-high teens last season, there did seem to be an underlying feeling of "not losing" becoming the most important thing.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Just wonder if compared to last seasons long unbeaten run that the 2 defeats to Newcastle and Brentford will turn out to be a good thing.
I say this because there was a sense that into November and December that we were looking to preserve the run rather win the game.
With that gone for this season maybe we will be better off and win more games than last season

Last season we had a bad injury crisis around November / December hence why we didn't win as many games as we would have liked and seemed less interested in winning in your opinion - it was nothing to do with trying to stay undefeated as the team is always trying to get the most points possible from a game

You could argue that the tactics are the same this season as last, with the substitution of a striker for an extra midfielder and later even more defensive subs to try to preserve the result - is this due to an unbeaten run this season or just a tactic that the manager has used (and successfully in the past) to give us our best shot at getting that result to the end of the game (If the opposition is losing by 1, they are obviously going to throw a lot more forward, looking for a goal, why risk leaving yourself exposed by throwing too many bodies forward in search of a goal that you don't necessarily need?)

If our attacking players stay fit unlike last season, we will (hopefully) win more games as our loss of attacking players pre- the January transfer window is what caused our drop in form / results

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe the OP is right.

We have made up the dropped points anyway for a win-at-home-draw-away 92 point finish, so perhaps it's better not to now be trying to protect a must-not-lose record.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Maybe the OP is right.

We have made up the dropped points anyway for a win-at-home-draw-away 92 point finish, so perhaps it's better not to now be trying to protect a must-not-lose record.

Yep. Except so far we haven't. We have 2 fewer points at this stage than last season. Although a win on Saturday will mean we will have caught up with 31 after 15.

The idea from others and the OP in this thread that we drew games last season because we were on a long undefeated run that we were trying to protect is simply nonsense.
As others have said:

Did we defeat Wigan yesterday because we were only 7 games undefeated and had lost to Brentford a few weeks back and thus got the monkey off our back. ?

Did we only draw 1-1 (with Reading) in the equivalent game last season because we were 13 games undefeated and unbeaten all season ?

Its not very plausible is it.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Last season we had a bad injury crisis around November / December hence why we didn't win as many games as we would have liked and seemed less interested in winning in your opinion - it was nothing to do with trying to stay undefeated as the team is always trying to get the most points possible from a game

You could argue that the tactics are the same this season as last, with the substitution of a striker for an extra midfielder and later even more defensive subs to try to preserve the result - is this due to an unbeaten run this season or just a tactic that the manager has used (and successfully in the past) to give us our best shot at getting that result to the end of the game (If the opposition is losing by 1, they are obviously going to throw a lot more forward, looking for a goal, why risk leaving yourself exposed by throwing too many bodies forward in search of a goal that you don't necessarily need?)

If our attacking players stay fit unlike last season, we will (hopefully) win more games as our loss of attacking players pre- the January transfer window is what caused our drop in form / results

Agreed, and if the boot were on the other foot and we were 1 down with 5 left I would expect to see us bearing down heavily on the oppo. If you're going to lose 1-0 then it may as well be 2-0 or 1-1 if you go gung ho at the end.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Anyone know many points we had at after the same number of games last year. Must be fairly similar -or even better?

lookinggood.jpg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yep. Except so far we haven't. We have 2 fewer points at this stage than last season. Although a win on Saturday will mean we will have caught up with 31 after 15.

The idea from others and the OP in this thread that we drew games last season because we were on a long undefeated run that we were trying to protect is simply nonsense.
As others have said:

Did we defeat Wigan yesterday because we were only 7 games undefeated and had lost to Brentford a few weeks back and thus got the monkey off our back. ?

Did we only draw 1-1 (with Reading) in the equivalent game last season because we were 13 games undefeated and unbeaten all season ?

Its not very plausible is it.
28 points from 7 home and 7 away games DOES keep us on target for a 92 point win-at-home-draw-away finish.

7 home @ 3 points + 7 away @ 1 point = 28 points, which is what we have now.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Defeats are never good, but I can see where the OP is coming from. When the run got up into the mid-to-high teens last season, there did seem to be an underlying feeling of "not losing" becoming the most important thing.

i don't entirely agree with this. we do go into games with a preserve what we have attitude come the last 15/20 minutes, but that is never our attitude for the bulk of the game. we play an exciting attack minded game. our main issue, is not converting all the good situations we create. i get really peeved when i hear ex pros or pundits saying we were lucky last season because we scrapped through games winning by just one goal. if they actually watched any of our games last season, the truth of the matter is that teams we were playing against were more often than not, lucky they didn't lose by more goals!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
i don't entirely agree with this. we do go into games with a preserve what we have attitude come the last 15/20 minutes, but that is never our attitude for the bulk of the game. we play an exciting attack minded game. our main issue, is not converting all the good situations we create. i get really peeved when i hear ex pros or pundits saying we were lucky last season because we scrapped through games winning by just one goal. if they actually watched any of our games last season, the truth of the matter is that teams we were playing against were more often than not, lucky they didn't lose by more goals!

Except for yesterday...only Bong and Skalak seemed to have much appetite for attacking!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here