Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the point in Rugby League ?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I've never really understood the appeal of the game.
It looks like a game that was made up for training sessions. start stop, start stop, start stop, start kick.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i was told/read that it was to invented to be a faster version, to compete with Football in the northern towns. i dont know if that holds, especially with the Aussie support. its pretty daft with the silly little fish wriggle they do when tackled, tap the ball behind. loses all the brutality that makes Rugby enjoyable to watch.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My (northern) in laws are very into it and it seems a lot more watchable than Union IMHO. The rules are certainly much clearer and it flows unlike Union.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My (northern) in laws are very into it and it seems a lot more watchable than Union IMHO. The rules are certainly much clearer and it flows unlike Union.
Mine too, well my father in law is a big Wigan fan. It does flow but I miss the tackling. I don't know if it's prejudice but I can't ever see the appeal. I like union though.

It pees me off when radio five give it big coverage. It's so narrow in its appeal which is almost exclusively Lancashire and Yorkshire. I demand top coverage for stoolball. It's only fair.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Having played for the all conquering Crawley Jets Rugby league team back in the day, I can confirm you need to be much fitter and very tough to play league.
I played union at quite a high standard and the Summer conference league games were much harder !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Simple to understand feeder game for Union to cherry pick the best backs?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Northern game , BBC love it used to be on every Sat afternoon where nobody South of Yorks /Lancs was interested

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I just wish they'd merge the two codes. Both have something to offer and they don't need to be competing for the best rugby players. I'm sure they'd all rather be taking part in a much bigger professional game.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Decent enough game to watch, but it is never going to grow in the UK.

They are desperate for a London Team to be in the Super League but fails every time.

The World Cup is just laughable.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The League world cup may be a bit ambitious, but Union is really turgid.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The League world cup may be a bit ambitious, but Union is really turgid.

They both suffer from the same issues, no one outside the top international teams will ever break in, that is partly due to the governing bodies.

Whilst the last Union World Cup saw some improvements in the minnows there was only one real shock.

Sea Eagle

Jun 23, 2011
Never watched rugby until I moved to Australia, now I love watching the NRL here, especially Manly Sea Eagles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here