Wigan v Brighton

Sky Bet Championship

Venue: The DW Stadium
Date: Saturday 22nd October 2016
Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Referee: Simon Hooper
Assistants: Shaun Hudson, Mark Jones
Fourth official: Mark Heywood

Wigan defender Reece Burke is fit to return while fellow loanee Kyle Knoyle has recovered from an elbow injury.

The Latics remain without Andy Kellett (knee), Donervon Daniels (knee), Reece James (foot) and Alex Gilbey (ankle).

Brighton centre-back Lewis Dunk serves a one-game suspension but right-back Bruno (groin) is expected to be fit.

Connor Goldson and Uwe Hunemeier are in contention to replace Dunk, while striker Tomer Hemed could return from a thigh strain.

Defender Liam Rosenior, midfielder Beram Kayal (both ankle) and winger Kazenga LuaLua (knee) remain sidelined for the Seagulls, who are unbeaten in seven Championship games.

Analysis

BBC Radio Manchester's Paul Rowley: "It's been a mixed return to the Championship for League One title holders Wigan. Early on they were scoring goals for fun but leaking more at the back - now the Latics are looking solid defensively, but are having difficulty finding the onion bag.

"Shaun MacDonald's first goal for the club in stoppage time at Leeds on Tuesday secured their third successive draw, and extended their unbeaten run to four games, but they are next to bottom in the table.

"Manager Gary Caldwell has fond memories of their last meeting, marking his first victory as a manager by beating the Seagulls 2-1 at the DW."

BBC Sussex's Johnny Cantor: "After conceding in injury time in the 2-2 draw at home to Preston, Chris Hughton's side survived another late onslaught to beat Wolves 1-0 on Tuesday.

"Brighton's record of eight clean sheets in 13 league games is the best in the division and the news that captain Bruno should make his 62nd consecutive league appearance after a groin problem is a major boost.

"Another tight affair looks likely but it is certainly the sort of game the Seagulls will feel they should win if they are to continue a concerted push for promotion."

MATCH FACTS

• [*=left]Wigan have won four of their last five home league games against Brighton (L1).
    [*=left]Since a 3-3 draw in October 1987, none of the last 13 league games between these sides have been stalemates with Brighton winning seven and Wigan six.
    [*=left]Wigan have drawn their last three league games; they've not drawn four in a row since October 2015.
    [*=left]The Seagulls are unbeaten in seven Championship contests, winning five and drawing two.
    [*=left]Brighton striker Sam Baldock has found the back of the net in three consecutive league appearances for the first time since April 2014.

The Big Match Preview: Spotlight on Wigan Athletic

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Just look at that formatting. The layout. The bolds, italics! Wonderfu.... hang on a minute.... You've put every section heading in bold sentence case except for 'MATCH FACTS' which is INEXPLICABLY in UPPERCASE!!!!

Weir loos.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
And the lucky winner representing the Albion and NSC in the national press today (well the I newspaper anyway) is oldboyroy with this NSC post: I was impressed with our win against Wolves albeit hanging on at the end, but Wolves played Villa off the park in their previous game and Preston did Huddersfield, so our point was not so bad after all

And the I's chosen online Wiganite: This will be a tough and very close game. Brighton have got the best defence in the league, and only lost one away. They don't score many on their travels though. GC has shored us up at the back lately, so I'll go 1-1

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He's been one of our best performers these last few games.

Yes.

Norwood & Sidwell are building a very solid partnership. We know there is a better partnership but Kayal is injured. Stephens gave the other two their chance with his red, they have taken their opportunity.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Good to see Stephens on the bench again. He is our best midfielder overall IMO but Norwood and Sidwell have been doing the job and he should be made to work his arse off to get back in the side after that ridiculous red card.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Yes.

Norwood & Sidwell are building a very solid partnership. We know there is a better partnership but Kayal is injured. Stephens gave the other two their chance with his red, they have taken their opportunity.
Yep. Sidwell absolutely bossed things on Tuesday

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Heading to the RSCH to listen to the game with my Dad, 45 years after he took me to my first game at the Goldstone. Eldest son repping the family at the DW.

UTA!

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here