Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warning about man approaching schoolchildren in Brighton

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just a heads up for any parents, I got this email from Varndean, half an hour ago.

Dear Varndean Families
Please could we ask you to be alert to the presence of a man acting suspiciously in the Elm Grove area today.
A student was approached by the man in his mid-twenties with a beard and black cap. He had pale and dirty hands and was driving a new silver car.
Students will be advised by their teachers in lessons to be cautious on their journeys home today.
Please report anything suspicious or concerning to Sussex Police using crime reference number: 308211016
Thank-you for supporting us to keep students safe.
With kind regards,
Varndean School

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Just a heads up for any parents, I got this email from Varndean, half an hour ago.

Dear Varndean Families
Please could we ask you to be alert to the presence of a man acting suspiciously in the Elm Grove area today.
A student was approached by the man in his mid-twenties with a beard and black cap. He had pale and dirty hands and was driving a new silver car.
Students will be advised by their teachers in lessons to be cautious on their journeys home today.
Please report anything suspicious or concerning to Sussex Police using crime reference number: 308211016
With kind regards,
Varndean School

Cheers for that as an Elm grove Parent, very sick weird people out there.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Dear Varndean Families
With kind regards,
Varndean School

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll pass on to a couple of parents I know with kids at school in the area.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I know the OP is well meaning in passing on the email, but the thread title is a little misleading re "man approaching schoolchildren" implying that more than one schoolchild had been approached whereas the warning was of one student.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I know the OP is well meaning in passing on the email, but the thread title is a little misleading re "man approaching schoolchildren" implying that more than one schoolchild had been approached whereas the warning was of one student.

Far better to post than to not post IMHO.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Jesus wept. Of all the things to nitpick about. "Well-meaning" makes it sound as if I'm misguided here. He approached a child, he's a danger to children. - sufficient enough for my child's school to issue a warning. It's not some half-arsed tittle-tattle overheard in the playground.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Jesus wept. Of all the things to nitpick about. "Well-meaning" makes it sound as if I'm misguided here. He approached a child, he's a danger to children.

I understand your concern but I wonder what the approach was about. Who knows? Is he a danger to children?

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
Jesus wept. Of all the things to nitpick about. "Well-meaning" makes it sound as if I'm misguided here. He approached a child, he's a danger to children. - sufficient enough for my child's school to issue a warning. It's not some half-arsed tittle-tattle overheard in the playground.

As a fellow Varndean parent, I'm very happy that the school issues warnings on matters like this. I'll be speaking to both my daughters when they get home to make sure they're aware.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
*shakes head in disbelief*

There's a frigging warning from a school. There's a police crime number. What's your problem?

I don't have a problem just that there was no explanation as to what the approach was about. Obviously if the man made some inappropriate comments then yes there is concern.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only on NSC.

This certainly wouldn't happen on mumsnet :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports