Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Longest half hour in the Albion's history

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

19 minutes of the greatest ever game.

Truly appalling football, bobbly pitch, crunching tackles, some great comments from Tony Millard "Give it to Minton for Christ's sake".

it was like watching 22 Mr Magoos chase a balloon for 90 minutes. But without doubt truly truly amazing.

I remember Maskell one on one, their chance in injury time when Williams shot tamely at Ormerod, but had forgotten many of the other near misses.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You get a lot of disappointments in football, but every now and again a huge one goes your way and you're lucky enough to be there. A never to be forgotten day, though the last 20 was horrific to watch.

These days that sort of winner-takes-all game even in League Two might well be shown live on Sky, would have made gripping viewing even for neutrals.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I was in a pub in the west country, glued to the TV screen, which was was on, without sound but with the BBC sports program on..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure that I can watch that again...but I'll have to to because in my mind I always thought that Ormerod pulled off a worldy to keep us in the football league,

From El Pres' comment in the original post it seems it was a cocked up shot?

I very much doubt I will go so far to each end of depression and joy over 90 minutes again.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I am in the longest hour of my life at present, listening to Social Worker after Social Worker on the blower asking the same question about how to renew their registration!! 5 minutes to go and I am off for a pint and a falafel burger. Miump.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Hands down the most important result in our history.

Just for the hell of it, I had a look at all the teams in the division in 96/97, and where they are now:

Wigan Athletic - Now in The Championship
Fulham - Championship
Carlisle United - League Two
Northampton Town - League One
Swansea City - Premier League
Chester City - Relegted from league Two in 2000, out of business in 2010, Chester FC re-formed - now in National league
Cardiff City - Championship
Colchester United - League Two
Lincoln City - National league
Cambridge United - League Two
Mansfield Town - League Two
Scarborough - out of business, re-formed as Scarborough Athletic
Rochdale - League One
Barnet - League Two
Leyton Orient - League Two
Hull City - Premier League
Darlington - Out of Business
Doncaster Rovers - League Two
Hartlepool United - League Two
Torquay United - National League
Exeter City - League Two
Albion - Championship
Hereford United - Out of Business

So four clubs from that season have subsequently gone out of business with varying levels of success in re-forming.

Who knows what would have happened if that result had gone against us that day.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I was there that day and can honestly state that it was THE most important game in our history.
Don't think there would be a BHAFC today if we'd lost.

Remember thinking that Hereford were sure to score when Ormorod pulled off that amazing save.

And the utter jubilation at the end reduced me to tears.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Just for the hell of it, I had a look at all the teams in the division in 96/97, and where they are now:

Fulham - Championship
Chester City - Relegted from league Two in 2000, out of business in 2010, Chester FC re-formed - now in National league
Rochdale - League One
Barnet - League Two
Exeter City - League Two
Albion - Championship

So four clubs from that season have subsequently gone out of business with varying levels of success in re-forming.

Just as notable is how five have had excursions to the top division. I wonder if any of the current crop in the Fourth Division will ever manage that now.

BlueWhite

Dec 28, 2003
OMG as we say these days. The greatest game ever. And really, ghastly terrible football. Good work their Hiney... there but for the grace of god and all that. By the way, the commentary when I tried to listen sounded like from outer space and morse code, which kind of added to the experience. I'd love to have heard 'Give it to Minton for Christ's sake' though. It all makes Tuesday's frustrating last 10 minutes look a bit pale. UTA.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62

19 minutes of the greatest ever game.

Truly appalling football, bobbly pitch, crunching tackles, some great comments from Tony Millard "Give it to Minton for Christ's sake".

it was like watching 22 Mr Magoos chase a balloon for 90 minutes. But without doubt truly truly amazing.

I remember Maskell one on one, their chance in injury time when Williams shot tamely at Ormerod, but had forgotten many of the other near misses.

Always thought that it was Adrian Foster who chipped tamely into Orm's hands at the end. Well he is in my 'Opposition Hall of Fame' anyway - not many in there though.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I took the dog for the longest walk it had ever been on in remote woodland, returning to the car at 5pm in trepidation at turning on Sports Report for the result.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Fulham - Championship
Rochdale - League One
Barnet - League Two
Exeter City - League Two
Albion - Championship

Hereford Utd are now Hereford FC, top of the Evo-Stik Southern League Div 1 South & West, which is 2 leagues below National League North/South.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Commentary just sounds like a robot to me...?!

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I remember sitting in the stand (I was up by the halfway line) at half time feeling utterly bereft. Everyone around me was subdued and it felt like it lasted hours. Once we'd equalised, I don't think we stopped singing and bouncing up and down. Totally exhausted by the end. On our way back to Worthing, we stopped (somewhere) for a beer and food and people here and there who saw our Albion shirts were saying well done and clapping us on the back. But my god, we were woeful then. How times change :)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just as notable is how five have had excursions to the top division. I wonder if any of the current crop in the Fourth Division will ever manage that now.

Just used the time machine and found this out

Carlisle
Notts County

and

Grimsby

all got there for 1 season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here